Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hi am trying to write up a Hazard Communication program for the AIB prerequsite program, and is having some confusions overall on classifying which one of our current ingredients are actually hazardous....where do we draw the line????

By looking at the MSDS:

1. there is the "hazard identification" section of the MSDS which can say it causes irriation to eyes/respiratory tracts/skin etc......would those be a concern?
2.LD50- where do we draw the line on what number is non-hazardous? Can we ignore the ingestion LD50 since we dont expect the employees to put food grade chemicals in their mouth?
3. Warning Symbols? Say if we have a flavoring solution with alchol solution as base and is flammable, should i give additional personal protection for the person handling it?

I am not sure where to draw the line, or which parameter to really use to determine whether a chemical is "hazardous" or not

Am doing this for the Canadian flour mill- and wasnt able to find a lot of help from the CFIA website....

williamw

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 33 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

What section of the AIB Standard are you referring to? I am not finding hazard communication beyond the MSDS requirements for pest control and chemical control in the standard.

Oldairyman

Grade - AIFSQN

• 38 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Banjo, Scottish Pipes, Earth Science, Family, SQF Consultant

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

They are looking for a program. I don't think you have to analyize every chemical. Questions like; Do you have a person who is in charge of the chemical program, Are emplyees trained on MSDS and included in your continutiy plan , do you have a certified trainer, do you have a training matrix, Does your chemical provider participate, Do you have control of your inventory , checked (weekly), Non food seperate from Food Grade, Do you have emergency numbers posted, do you have an approved chemical list, do you store pesticides on site, is your pest applicator lisenced, fire extigushers, eye wash stations and showers provided, fire rated cabinets for solvents, Spill containment program and containers used, are PPE used properly, flour mill PELs and safety controls for exposions.(as flour can be exposive) these are just a few but not all inclusive that should be included in your Hazardous communication program.
Hope this helps a little.

Hi am trying to write up a Hazard Communication program for the AIB prerequsite program, and is having some confusions overall on classifying which one of our current ingredients are actually hazardous....where do we draw the line????

By looking at the MSDS:

1. there is the "hazard identification" section of the MSDS which can say it causes irriation to eyes/respiratory tracts/skin etc......would those be a concern?
2.LD50- where do we draw the line on what number is non-hazardous? Can we ignore the ingestion LD50 since we dont expect the employees to put food grade chemicals in their mouth?
3. Warning Symbols? Say if we have a flavoring solution with alchol solution as base and is flammable, should i give additional personal protection for the person handling it?

I am not sure where to draw the line, or which parameter to really use to determine whether a chemical is "hazardous" or not

Am doing this for the Canadian flour mill- and wasnt able to find a lot of help from the CFIA website....

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

By looking at the MSDS:

may be you can try to looking for ADI (Acceptable daily Intake) for all ingredients, and see what the reguation says... you can choose FDA as basic standard.

Rgds

AS NUr

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users