• Quick Navigation
Photo

Anyone seen SQFI guidance documents on Compressed Air?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

SPL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

During our audit, the audit mentioned that SQFI released guidance documents regarding Compressed Air to the CBs. Has anyone seen anything yet? SQFI.com has nothing available

Pete

SueBee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Look under the FAQ's

SQFcode FAQ’s (sqfi.com):

5.5 Ventilation and coolingCan you provide me with the requirements on air puritytesting on compressed air? What are the parameters and what method is requiredto meet this requirement? What does purity mean?

Purity means free of cross contamination.Pure air means the air is free of risk of cross contamination to the products.Essentially, the air must not contribute any contamination to the product.

Interpretation: Food processing facilities need to operate from afundamental assumption that compressed air can be a source of chemical andmicrobiological contamination. Food facilities must verify and validate thecompressed air used in their facility is appropriate for use and not a sourceof contamination Whencompressed air comes in contact with exposed product, direct product contactsurfaces and interior surface packaging, the air compressor should use foodgrade oil.

Preventive maintenance programs need toensure that an appropriate filtration program is in place at the point of useand the filters are cleaned/changed at a frequency appropriate to the productand process or following any maintenance to air supply source or equipment.Maintenance must be done in a hygienic manner. Air should be filtered at thepoint of use for most operations (recommended filter size at point of use is0.3 micron, or as determined as appropriate by a risk analysis). Nozzles andair hoses are to be in good condition, properly repaired and maintained in a hygienicstate (e.g., cleaned and sanitized). Hoses and nozzles should be kept off theground.

Thanked by 3 Members:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Sue, not sure where the 5.5 came from?

There is also this at the bottom of that guidance from SQF:

Testing can be conducted in order to validate the air-filtration control system for the compressed air is effective based on the risk to the product, but at a minimum of once a year. Testing can be done in-house or by a contracted party. Test requirements and number of samples will be based on the risk to the product and process. Microbiological testing can include testing for aerobic plate count and/or indicator organisms as appropriate to the operation. Testing for moisture should be considered if moisture is a potential risk to the product (e.g., dry operations). Aseptic sample collection should be used. There are a wide variety of measures available including the use of air sampling equipment, use of sterile sponges, membrane filtration and others.

L.M.R.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

I believe there is a new section in Version 7 regarding compressed air. Check the SQF change map

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

I discussed this issue with the head of our outside lab (they do micro pathogen testing for us) and came up with a procedure. Our facility has a single compressor that feeds 30 production rooms. It was recommended that a line closest to the compressor, one halfway down the line and one furthest from the compressor. A quick connect air nozzle was sanitized with 400 ppm quat solution for each air hose checked, and a sponge swab was removed from it's whirlpak bag with a sterile gloved hand. After blowing air through the nozzle to ensure the insides were dry the nozzle was placed in contact with the sterile sponge swab and triggered for 20 seconds. Then the swab was placed back into the labeled whirlpak bag and sealed. The gun was then triggered into a clean white cloth for one minute and the clomined for any signs of moisture or particulates. The sponge samples were sent out for micro testing, the cloth photographed (before and after).

The swab results came back negative ( I had them tested for APC, Coliform, Yeast, and Mold). All tests came back with <10 cfu/sample. Combined with Maintenance PM records showing that only foor grade lunricants were used in the compressor and only 0.3 micron filter were used this data satisfied our auditor a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by esquef, 11 March 2013 - 02:41 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:
SPL

SPL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Thank you esquef and evryone else.

I think a better guidance document needs to be released by SQFI and not just an answer on the FAQ. While it is a form of direction for compliance, it is both weak and strong. Clearly SQF wants 0.3 micron filter at end point use. Yet they wantt air that is free from contamination both chemically and microbially, but what are those limits/standards? What form of verification and validation will they accept? Case point with allergen clean, verify using protein swab as long as but have verification for specfic allergen using lateral flow test or Elisa test.

williamw

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 33 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

There are standards for compressed air and you can get test kits that you send back to the company for testing and reporting. Our total test cost was about 100 USD.

Here is a good summary of the ISO standard with reference to BRC requirements. In the absence of a specific SQF Standard I would argue that this is as good a standard as any to apply. It worked with our SQF auditor.

http://www.airpower....irfoodgrade.pdf

Link seems to be dead / added Charles.C, 110314

Thanked by 1 Member:
SPL

SPL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

So after reviewing the new guidance document for 7.1 module 11, the requirements are not as stringent as I thought for compressed air. I thought SQF wanted a VOC test or some other extreme testing.  I would like place my interpretation here and see/accept your opinions and thoughts.

The code would like to see

1. A 0.01 micron filter closest to the point of use

2. Oil filter on the line

3. Documentation/Tech sheets for all filter housing and chemicals used

4. A annual APC test of the air filter in accordance to ISO 8573-7

5. All mantenance activity to be completed in accordance to section 11.2.9 and documented

Would any one for a copy of iso 8573-7 available?

Edited by SPL, 28 May 2013 - 01:35 PM.

Tomato Country Girl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

So after reviewing the new guidance document for 7.1 module 11, the requirements are not as stringent as I thought for compressed air. I thought SQF wanted a VOC test or some other extreme testing.  I would like place my interpretation here and see/accept your opinions and thoughts.

The code would like to see

1. A 0.01 micron filter closest to the point of use

2. Oil filter on the line

3. Documentation/Tech sheets for all filter housing and chemicals used

4. A annual APC test of the air filter in accordance to ISO 8573-7

5. All mantenance activity to be completed in accordance to section 11.2.9 and documented

Would any one for a copy of iso 8573-7 available?

Went to Google searched under ISO-8573 this link came up hope it helps. http://freepdfdb.org/pdf/iso-8573

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users