• Quick Navigation
Photo

How hard or difficult is it to transition from BRC to SQF?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Frank88maurice

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Safety, Food Quality, Research & Development & Improvement. Guitars, Amplifiers.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

How hard or difficult is it to transition from BRC to SQF?

Thanks in advance

Franklin

Quality Operations/Compliance Manager.

Lucky Country USA, LLC

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hi Frank, I know this place is about good advice but here's a complete guess for you. :smile:
If you have a compliant BRC FSMS in place you will breeze through SQF provided you have a trained SQF Practitioner on site.

The only difficulty is having your manual aligned to the numbering of the SQF standard as it is likely aligned to the BRC clauses. That doesn't get you an NC or lose you certification it just makes the auditor earn their fee.

Now I'm going to hide whilst those in possession of 'the facts' shoot me down.

:potplant:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

psunjka

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

I would like to put a different twist to Frank's question: How hard or difficult is it to transition from SQF to BRC? Any opinions?

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:56 AM

I would like to put a different twist to Frank's question: How hard or difficult is it to transition from SQF to BRC? Any opinions?

Well, I have recently popped over from BRC to SQF (at a different location and a totally different product type), it is rather easy for SQF Level 2, and should not be a problem for Level 3 (as BRC does not differentiate the 2). Hence it being a GFSI benchmark; apart from the wee little quirks like the "SQF Practitioner" that causes some confusion, but nothing that a $50USD and a 60 question on-line exam wont fix (vs. having an "original" £95.00 BRC Global Standard book on hand). I prefer the later.

Really, IMO, It all comes down to the CB on a GFSI benchmark. Some are crap (easy) and some are quite legitimately thorough. I have well passed 3rd Party audits that we should not have, as well as having a dam good system and got a poor score. The Standards are one level, and GFSI is another.

Conclution: do not worry about your GFSI standard, worry about your CB and their record: was it not Silliker that passed Sunland (voluntary recall that I remember quite vividly (sickened a total of 35 people in 19 states) rippled throughout the supply chain last year... is it not NSF that brags about giving the most NC's compared to other CBs? Personally, I'd go for NFS, more intense (and legitimate) scrutiny never hurt in getting Senior Management Commitment in line... you QA Managers know what I'm talking about. Have ya ever had an Aussi auditor? check the hoops they have to jump through in that country...

Who is with me for hanging a legitimate "Supplier Approval" program?!!!
This (above w/ Sunland) makes the "validation" rather difficult, eh.
How does one really know if these GFSI benchmarks will do the trick in protecting your brand reputation from being undercut by a slack supplier...

Note: This observation is from the lower 48 states (USA) 2013, other parts of the world may have a different story (Good, bad and ugly)... and it is wisdom to know the difference to protect lives and the bottom line.

Hope that gives you any insight Frank88maurice, any feedback is appreciated.

-Baron

Had to add this from Simon:

Now I'm going to hide whilst those in possession of 'the facts' shoot me down.

Cheers,
-B

Edited by baron, 03 May 2013 - 04:03 AM.

ajbuilta

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2021 - 09:00 PM

Is there a spreadsheet that compares one code to another? 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,504 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 November 2021 - 09:09 PM

if you google it, you'll find lots of comparisons

Even though this is an 8 year old thread, the same is still true-------each has it's own nuances good and bad 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 November 2021 - 03:42 AM

Easy, SQF Progrqm not as complcated.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 November 2021 - 03:42 AM

Easy, SQF Program not as complcated.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 November 2021 - 08:57 AM

Is there a spreadsheet that compares one code to another? 

Hi ajbuilta,

If you mean compares "content" such as individual clauses, the quest may be difficult. I had a look but all I could find were old/obsolete comparison charts.

You may find the analyses (and particularly the appended discussions) of these 3 interesting (2020) multi-GFSI-Standard articles of some value although sort of oriented to UK.. I was rather amazed at the relatively dominant usage of  BRC over SQF  both worldwide and even more so in UK.. Together with the (perhaps predictable) negligible number of SQF/CBs in UK. But not, afaik, in USA.

https://techni-k.co....hemes-to-brcgs/

https://techni-k.co....pared-to-brcgs/

https://techni-k.co....-your-business/

Although not containing full clause-by-clause comparisons..these recent articles (bar last one) did contain info. of some interest IMO.

Attached File  topics covered by major FS schemes.png   104.85KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Applicability major FS schemes across food supply chain.PNG   59.47KB   0 downloads

(extracted from -
Attached File  FS measures for horticultural produce,2020.pdf   1.19MB   3 downloads

Attached File  GFSI schemes SQF,BRC,FSSC22000 comparison,Eurofins Guide.pdf   318.23KB   12 downloads

Attached File  Making Sense of Third Party Food Safety Certification.pdf   1.4MB   4 downloads

Attached File  Comparison (condensed) for brc5 - sqf6(2011).pdf   376.27KB   8 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sam D

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 3 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Travelling

Posted 12 November 2021 - 04:16 PM

In my experience, it not a whole different.  After working with BRC certified company for lot a years, I moved into a company that wanted to get SQF certified. On writing their policy from scratch, all I could see was the similarity. There may be few things different here and there but I don't feel it's any thing concerning difficult.

If you have handled a successful BRC program, you can easily handle SQF.

-Sam

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 November 2021 - 03:02 PM

In my experience, it not a whole different.  After working with BRC certified company for lot a years, I moved into a company that wanted to get SQF certified. On writing their policy from scratch, all I could see was the similarity. There may be few things different here and there but I don't feel it's any thing concerning difficult.

If you have handled a successful BRC program, you can easily handle SQF.

-Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for directly answering the OP.

IMHO, the 2 standards are more like Apples and Oranges. Both IMO have major, but often different, user Skeletons in the Closet.

The numerous Posts appearing in this Forum suggest to me that Ease of Comprehension is one Skeleton shared by both Standards.

For me, with some exceptions, implementing SQF's interpretation of FS requires a distinct re-think as compared to BRC. Maybe something like Simon's comment in Post 2.

PS - the transition might perhaps have been a little easier in 2013 when this thread originated and FS Standards tended, IIRC, to be a little less cluttered with FS "newbies" such as food fraud, FSMA etc.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users