• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hi all,

My client uses third party cold storage facilities. I would like to set up a code of practice for these facilities, or am I making life difficult for myself, and should I just use our general supplier questionnaire.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

shea quay

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 180 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

A code of practice already exists for cold storage units - your job / your client's job is to make sure your service provider follows it.
Firstly, a risk assessment;

Physical Risks - low (I'm presuming your client stores boxed or contained product/raw materials)
Chemical Risks - low (get paperwork detailing that R22, R408A refrigerants are not used)
Microbiological Risks - low (again, presuming alarm based freezer systems, records on file that product is kept frozen - you may want to request random results)
Intrinsic Risks - low (again, presuming the cold store has an allergen policy and/or product is in sealed boxes).
These should all really be detailed in your coldstore's code of practice / contract / quality policy.

Secondly, test this;
Physical Risks - probably not relevant
Chemical Risks - hopefully not relevant (get the paperwork)
Microbiological Risks - stick a temperature tag on the odd pallet - in my experience, Irish cold stores are quite good at maintaining temperature, but have a history of leaving product standing on loading bays for quite a while (if your budget does not extend this far, google image a temperature tag, colour print it and stick it on the pallet wrap, really works a treat)
Intrinsic Risks - add to external auditing schedule and visit annually unannounced, for example, follow a delivery in, stick on a yellow jacket, smoke, swear, and generally act like a delivery driver and observe.

This not only allows you to fully validate you service supplier, but also gives you an opportunity to wear a yellow jacket, smoke and swear.

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

A code of practice already exists for cold storage units - your job / your client's job is to make sure your service provider follows it.
Firstly, a risk assessment;

Physical Risks - low (I'm presuming your client stores boxed or contained product/raw materials)
Chemical Risks - low (get paperwork detailing that R22, R408A refrigerants are not used)
Microbiological Risks - low (again, presuming alarm based freezer systems, records on file that product is kept frozen - you may want to request random results)
Intrinsic Risks - low (again, presuming the cold store has an allergen policy and/or product is in sealed boxes).
These should all really be detailed in your coldstore's code of practice / contract / quality policy.

Secondly, test this;
Physical Risks - probably not relevant
Chemical Risks - hopefully not relevant (get the paperwork)
Microbiological Risks - stick a temperature tag on the odd pallet - in my experience, Irish cold stores are quite good at maintaining temperature, but have a history of leaving product standing on loading bays for quite a while (if your budget does not extend this far, google image a temperature tag, colour print it and stick it on the pallet wrap, really works a treat)
Intrinsic Risks - add to external auditing schedule and visit annually unannounced, for example, follow a delivery in, stick on a yellow jacket, smoke, swear, and generally act like a delivery driver and observe.

This not only allows you to fully validate you service supplier, but also gives you an opportunity to wear a yellow jacket, smoke and swear.

Like I need an excuse...except for the smoking.......

Ok I am going to send the regular Supplier questionnaire and request their HACCP documentation... hahahahahahahahahahaha.....that'll confuse 'em for a few days..

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

shea quay

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 180 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Lol! Let me know how it goes!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hi all,

My client uses third party cold storage facilities. I would like to set up a code of practice for these facilities, or am I making life difficult for myself, and should I just use our general supplier questionnaire.

Or you could require compliance with a relevant standard such as BRC Storage & Distribution?

CLN

Grade - AIFSQN

• 39 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

Hello

Regarding to this statement below, are you saying due to the type of packaging (sealed boxes), the risk is control by the box therefore allergen is contained? 

"Intrinsic Risks - low (again, presuming the cold store has an allergen policy and/or product is in sealed boxes)."

The reason I am asking is that I want to rewrite our allergen management plan that is not enforceable due to lack of racking space in a Third-Party Warehouse.  Currently we try our best to store product using like to like principles but run into compacity issues.  I want to address the compacity issues, and state the packaging is sufficient protection against cross contact with unlike allergens.

Please advice

David

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:27 AM

Also see this current thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...rage-practices/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Peas&Carrots

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

Hi Shea,

This is very interesting what you say below: 

google image a temperature tag, colour print it and stick it on the pallet wrap, really works a treat)

I tried googling this but I am confused. Does one you print out yourself change colour? I would be grateful if you could provide a link, thanks

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users