Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

I was hoping to get some guidance as to what factors should be considered when picking a certification body for SQF? Also, at what point in the process do you actually pick the certification body? We are hoping to be ready for an SQF audit in 6-9 months.

Thanks in advance!

dandy0215

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

NSF is the biggest player as far as certification bodies go, then Silliker, AIB, and so on... We are going with NSF. They responded fast and had an opening within a few weeks for us. I've had past experience with Silliker, as well, and they are good to work with. Hope this helps!

Thanked by 1 Member:

FoodChick

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

NSF is the biggest player as far as certification bodies go, then Silliker, AIB, and so on... We are going with NSF. They responded fast and had an opening within a few weeks for us. I've had past experience with Silliker, as well, and they are good to work with. Hope this helps!

Thanks! Do you have to sign up on the SQF Assessment database before they will give you pricing & timing for the audit?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

I was hoping to get some guidance as to what factors should be considered when picking a certification body for SQF? Also, at what point in the process do you actually pick the certification body? We are hoping to be ready for an SQF audit in 6-9 months.

Thanks in advance!

While we make a specific recommendation for a certain CB to our clients I would say you should inquire to several CB's to determine the qualifications of the Auditors (what FSCs they have for instance) and if they are general or high risk. And ask each one if they follow the requirements of SQFI. Some of the CB's out their can't seem to ever get their act together with little things such as the Auditor or CB sending an audit plan to the client prior to the audit. Be careful about the so called big boys being the best, you'd be surprised. Ask for the CV's on a selection of their SQF Registered Auditors and make sure they can match up an Auditor with your applicable FSC's and risk level.

There really is no reason to waste money on registering as a supplier too soon with SQFI, my suggestion would be to do both at one time - do your development first, and then when you start your 2-4 month implementation (or whatever your planned length of time is for implementation) phase that is when you should contract with a CB, get your auditor dates set up and register with SQFI as a supplier member. That way, every year you will remember to do both items at the same time again, because it will be a yearly renewal with SQFI and another contract with the CB.

Hope that helps.

Glenn Oster

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member: