Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Hey folks, this is my first foray into this topic. My company will be adding a 60,000 ft. sq. warehouse for all of our packaging materials and receiving of raw materials, as well as housing some offices. There will be zero food manufacturing done at the location. We have already set up a basic IPM program which will be expanded once we are 100% operational. Does the new building have to have its' own Food Safety Plan, or can I fold it into the applicable modules I will be creating for our main manufacturing plant? I am developing our system per SQF Level 2. (SQF FSC 17) Thanks! -Bob

Bob Johnson
Just another clown on the bus...

jenky

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 37 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

The experts (SQF Auditors) that I consulted on this in my own similiar situation said no and that almost no one qualifies for the the multi-site certification. Your two sites will be audited and certified separately. In my opinion, your sites would each need their own food safety plan - you may be able to share some documentation, i.e. some policies and procedures might be the same, such as receiving incoming goods, but the food safety hazards for manufacturing would be very different and would require it is own HACCP plan.

Thanked by 1 Member:

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

I believe that you'll need to register your new facility with the FDA as well.

Thanked by 1 Member:

cheeseheadbob

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the input. I was thinking that I would need two sets of books. Of course, the storage site criteria would be far less involved than our manufacturing facility, but equally scrutinized, I am sure!

The experts (SQF Auditors) that I consulted on this in my own similiar situation said no and that almost no one qualifies for the the multi-site certification. Your two sites will be audited and certified separately. In my opinion, your sites would each need their own food safety plan - you may be able to share some documentation, i.e. some policies and procedures might be the same, such as receiving incoming goods, but the food safety hazards for manufacturing would be very different and would require it is own HACCP plan.

Bob Johnson
Just another clown on the bus...

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Bob, is the facility you speaking about located onsite with your main facility or is it apart from it - if onsite it would seem reasonable that it would be a part of your overall SQF program. Regardless of on-site or across town it does not appear to be multi-site and if separate you'll need to see if it even should be part of the scope as you might be able to negate it completely. In a situation like this however a call to SQFI would be a good idea as there is not enough information in your posting for me to provide you with an accurate answer.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Tomato Country Girl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Bob, is the facility you speaking about located onsite with your main facility or is it apart from it - if onsite it would seem reasonable that it would be a part of your overall SQF program. Regardless of on-site or across town it does not appear to be multi-site and if separate you'll need to see if it even should be part of the scope as you might be able to negate it completely. In a situation like this however a call to SQFI would be a good idea as there is not enough information in your posting for me to provide you with an accurate answer.

I agree could not hurt does not cost anything but time.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users