skredsfan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Grilling, Sports, & Continual Education!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I've got a couple of questions regarding 6.3 Air Quality and 6.4 Compressed Air & Gases under PAS 223

1.  6.3/Air Quality & Ventilation. The specification states that the food packaging manufacturing organization shall establish requirements for air used for direct food packaging contact and shall monitor accordingly.

This seems to be a pretty generic statement. Aside from from an EPA inspection, how do I monitor air quality? What requirements should be in place other than having a ventilation system?

2. 6.4/Compressed air & other gases. The specification states that the food packaging manufacturing organization shall establish requirements for gases used for direct food packaging contact (including those used for drying raw materials, intermediate materials, finished food packaging or equipment) and shall monitor accordingly.

My question is kind of the same as the 6.3 question. It seems pretty generic to me. It states that the organization should establish requirements. Are there not regulatory guidelines to be followed for Air Quality & Compressed Air & Gases?

Thanks as always!

skredsfan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

Anyone have any suggestions for the above post? Thanks!

S Claw

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

What we have done is make sure there are oil/water separators inline for our compressors. As well, those filters are noted on our PM schedules. For ambient air, we sample our air in various spots throughout our facilities once a year. 

Thus far that has fulfilled the requirement to "establish requirements". I know it seems generic, but the fulfillment of the requirement can be just as generic as long as you have something that is effective in place. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dai Williams

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

I've got a couple of questions regarding 6.3 Air Quality and 6.4 Compressed Air & Gases under PAS 223

1.  6.3/Air Quality & Ventilation. The specification states that the food packaging manufacturing organization shall establish requirements for air used for direct food packaging contact and shall monitor accordingly.

This seems to be a pretty generic statement. Aside from from an EPA inspection, how do I monitor air quality? What requirements should be in place other than having a ventilation system?

2. 6.4/Compressed air & other gases. The specification states that the food packaging manufacturing organization shall establish requirements for gases used for direct food packaging contact (including those used for drying raw materials, intermediate materials, finished food packaging or equipment) and shall monitor accordingly.

My question is kind of the same as the 6.3 question. It seems pretty generic to me. It states that the organization should establish requirements. Are there not regulatory guidelines to be followed for Air Quality & Compressed Air & Gases?

Thanks as always!

There are a lot of documents available ref air quality including EU standards and ASHRE but they tend to deal with offices and not too specific.Take a look at this web site gives you some idea. http://www.filtratio...performance.htm  also this web sit has many links also  historically i have used Campden as my basis for filtration and reccommended no of air changes etc. http://www.ehedg.org...lines/doc30.pdf

Air samplers where a quantity of air is drawn over the media strip are readily available.

Compressed air then sampling is a bit more complex. Start with sterile filtration with steam cleaners as part of the specification on the supply side. The supplier will be able to advise you but you could take a bleed point after the sterile filter and pass over the air sampler. The maintenance policy on the sterile filters can be sufficient and that spent filters can be analysed by suppliers to ensure the efficacy of the maintenance and this becomes your preventative measure. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

skredsfan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Any thoughts on requirements of natural gas & propane as indirect additives of food packaging? Our printing press heaters are fueled by natural gas and/or propane. The paperboard travels through the heaters after the printing process. This was the only thing I could find on it concerning regulations. http://www.accessdat....cfm?fr=173.350 Is there a way to make this a little easier & cost effective? Should I check with our natural gas & propane supplier to try to obtain a certificate of conformance or certificate of analysis? I wonder if it's common for combustible gas suppliers to provide COC's or COA's?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Dear skredsfan,

re - OP.

Bit late reply so to avoid possible duplication, from memory there are 1-3 previous threads on this topic, not necessarily under SQF. Have you already found them  ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

skredsfan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Dear skredsfan,

re - OP.

Bit late reply so to avoid possible duplication, from memory there are 1-3 previous threads on this topic, not necessarily under SQF. Have you already found them  ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Charles.C,

I have not found any combustible gas threads as they relate to indirect food additives. I'll keep digging around!

Thanks,

Shane

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV