• Quick Navigation
Photo

PAS 223 - Do I need to have our Air Quality tested?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

skredsfan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Grilling, Sports, & Continual Education!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

As Part of PAS 223 (Prerequisite Programs for Food Packaging) it states that the organization shall establish requirements for air used as well as compressed air & gases. In a nutshell, our current procedure states that HVAC & Compressed air systems must be maintained according to the supplier or manufacturer. Oils, Lubricants, and filtration must be made of acceptable food grade materials.Evaluations on fans & other blowing equipment is done to ensure that it doesn't compromise product safety. Are we doing enough or do I need to have environmental testing conducted on these systems. It's easy for me to say that we're providing adequate ventilation, but how do I justify that beyond what our current procedure states?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

As Part of PAS 223 (Prerequisite Programs for Food Packaging) it states that the organization shall establish requirements for air used as well as compressed air & gases. In a nutshell, our current procedure states that HVAC & Compressed air systems must be maintained according to the supplier or manufacturer. Oils, Lubricants, and filtration must be made of acceptable food grade materials.Evaluations on fans & other blowing equipment is done to ensure that it doesn't compromise product safety. Are we doing enough or do I need to have environmental testing conducted on these systems. It's easy for me to say that we're providing adequate ventilation, but how do I justify that beyond what our current procedure states?

Dear skredsfan,

Same question as yr adjacent thread?  ( http://www.ifsqn.com...-64/#entry61161 )

Frankly  :dunno:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

skredsfan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Dear skredsfan,

Same question as yr adjacent thread?  ( http://www.ifsqn.com...-64/#entry61161 )

Frankly  :dunno:

Rgds / Charles.C

Charles,

I hadn't received any responses to it so I started a new thread.I see now that someone responded to the original thread. Is there a way of bumping threads periodically so that they don't go unseen after a day or so? As for my thread, Do you have any suggestions on the topic? Thanks,

Shane

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

Charles,

I hadn't received any responses to it so I started a new thread.I see now that someone responded to the original thread. Is there a way of bumping threads periodically so that they don't go unseen after a day or so? As for my thread, Do you have any suggestions on the topic? Thanks,

Shane

Dear skredsfan,

Lack of a response can happen. it's life. :smile:

Typically, all forums regard duplicate postings at short intervals with extreme disfavour since they can cause confusion / can waste time of other posters due repetition.

Bumping equally unpopular.

This is why you see Simon periodically re-posting groups of  0-reply,  thread starters with a request for input. He has a kind soul.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

skredsfan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Dear skredsfan,

Lack of a response can happen. it's life. :smile:

Typically, all forums regard duplicate postings at short intervals with extreme disfavour since they can cause confusion / can waste time of other posters due repetition.

Bumping equally unpopular.

This is why you see Simon periodically re-posting groups of  0-reply,  thread starters with a request for input. He has a kind soul.

Rgds / Charles.C

Not a problem! I've used other forum sites similiar to this one that allow bumping, but it can only be done every 48 hours. Not trying to disrupt the culture of IFSQN by any means! I'll make sure not to duplicate posts in the future.

Oldairyman

Grade - AIFSQN

• 38 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Banjo, Scottish Pipes, Earth Science, Family, SQF Consultant

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

SQF New this year changes section 12.5 Air, Water and Ice required to be monitored for environmental contaminants.
No frequency listed however. Be prepared.

S Claw

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

We also evaluate fans and blowers and put them on our preventive maintenance and sanitation schedules. However, we also sample the air in the facility in a few locations annually. While this gives us a benchmark on the quality of the air, the air volume turns over so frequently that it's a poor representation of air quality as a whole. Our operations is so low risk that we deem annual sampling sufficient.

snipes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

For SQF 12.5.6.2, I am wondering what is meant by the requirement that air used in a facility shall be regularly monitored for "environmental contaminants". This could include air testing for Aerobic Count and Mold and Yeast. What other contaminants would be required to test for in a food plant with filtered air and no obvious environmental contaminants in the area. Thanks

w.weber

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Hi,

we are checking air monthly on micro. But you can also check on oil or foreign particle content to see whether filterig /separation is working well.

Yours

Werner

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users