Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,822 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Think outside the box for HACCP success
Amanda Evans, Certified Auditor and Trainer, HACCP Mentor.

The purpose of this presentation is to educate participants on how critical thinking can be applied to the management of food safety within their food business. Critical thinking involves the participant looking past the “obvious” to ultimately prevent and manage food safety issues. Thinking “outside the box” can move a food business past basic compliance into achieving an exceptional level of business improvement, innovation and growth. The session will focus on how to apply critical thinking to three core areas, namely, complaint investigations, root cause analysis and hazard identification and assessment.

If you have a question related to this presentation please post it below.

<<Link to the Webinar recording>>

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

HACCP Mentor

HACCP Mentor

• IFSQN Member
  • 132 posts
  • 42 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Helping and mentoring others to achieve their food safety and HACCP compliance outcomes.

BRC Consultant

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

Looking forward to presenting this topic at Food Safety Live! It is amazing how just changing a few little areas in how we think about and approach certain food safety issues can make a MASSIVE difference. If you are ready to make things easier through better thinking - make sure you attend this session.

Click here to get The Ultimate Guide to HACCP Certification

Read our article on How to be a Successful HACCP Team Leader

Update your HACCP knowledge with our accredited Codex HACCP 2020 Update Online Training

HACCP Mentor is a global food safety compliance and education platform that makes food safety, quality and HACCP compliance easy.

Find us at www.haccpmentor.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,822 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

I love your blogs Amanda, they are very practical and that's why I hand picked you to present a webinar at FSL.

I'm really looking forward to your presentation. :smile:

Regards,

Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

HACCP Mentor

HACCP Mentor

• IFSQN Member
  • 132 posts
  • 42 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Helping and mentoring others to achieve their food safety and HACCP compliance outcomes.

BRC Consultant

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thank you so much Simon! I am a big believer in making things as simple as possible and to the point. Food safety and HACCP compliance does not have to be complex if you can just look at it differently. This will be the main focus of my presentation at Food Safety Live 2013.

Update your HACCP knowledge with our accredited Codex HACCP 2020 Update Online Training

HACCP Mentor is a global food safety compliance and education platform that makes food safety, quality and HACCP compliance easy.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,822 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

Great practical presentation from Amanda. :clap:

A lot of questions and comments generated:

• Regarding signing CCP monitoring forms, How do you identify when a form was signed retrospectively especially when investigating a complaint at a suppliers facility
  • How we can found hazard in the system
  • Following HACCP leads to massive documentation, which in turn leads to human behavioural issue as they get fed up maintaining so many documents. What is the probable solution to reduce behavioural issues in the manufacturing area??
  • Question/Remark for Amanda : I like the thinking out of the box concept, but I think there could be a problem with some auditors that are not wanting to think outside the box as some of them are holding firming to requirements and not leaving space for interpreting them
  • Good! Really helps me ..but I can't go on the whole session..
  • Can you justify the risk rating?? This is a big question in the food industry. Can we educate people in the food industry with this?
  • Regarding signing CCP monitoring forms, How do you identify when a form was signed retrospectively especially when investigating a complaint at a suppliers facility
  • Can I depend totally for hazard id and assessment on questions only, or I need more data?
  • Some time we can’t find some hazard. at that case how can we find it easily
  • It is traditionally taken that small fragments of glass /metals can be ingested and somehow get into the blood stream. What would you say about the sizes of the metal detectors?
  • Cost burden or additional cost burden of critical thinking mechanism for safety management?
  • What is the size of metal that causes injury to a person if ingested?
  • Could you recommend how auditor should know new hazards for food industry? E.G viruses in food?
  • HACCP is usually a part of a food safety management program, do you think it can be made into a program on its own?
  • About critical thinking, the logical thinking in the hazard analysis most of the time is based in experience and reasonable things can occur. Do you believe that even with all this experience and common sense in a HACCP Team, they need to look further even when the chances are really far?
  • Who should make hazard ID and assessment in my food safety organization?
  • Hello Amanda, could you tell us the best tool or technique to find the root cause? Thanks
  • What is the difference between HACCP Accreditation and Certification?
  • Can we change CCP through a customer complain after root cause analysis?
  • Can be HACCP apply for a big and small bossiness?
  • Root Cause analysis need to be extended beyond factory; in extended Supply Chain?
  • is there any software for HACCP?
  • Amanda. How do you manage the critical thinking with hazards that the industry process cannot control like salmonella in raw poultry or salmonella in pigs? Silvia
  • Critical thinking could be showed, justifying in every step which is the level of acceptable risk?
  • thinking out of box seems to be costive tool, and it will be linked by somehow to culture of business and the willingness to establish the right conditions , your comment please
  • how many minimum and maximum ccp can be in system
  • While including a new CCP is it necessary to review HACCP
  • Thanks!!!

Thanked by 1 Member:

HACCP Mentor

HACCP Mentor

• IFSQN Member
  • 132 posts
  • 42 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

BRC Consultant

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

Well...that was a great session so thanks everyone for tuning in. Lots of questions to answer so I think I got most of them on the webinar. I will post written answers to the above in the coming days.

Thanks again everyone and enjoy the rest of the presentations.

Cheers 

Amanda

Edited by HACCP Mentor, 27 June 2013 - 08:43 AM.

HACCP Mentor

HACCP Mentor

• IFSQN Member
  • 132 posts
  • 42 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

BRC Consultant

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

• Regarding signing CCP monitoring forms, How do you identify when a form was signed retrospectively especially when investigating a complaint at a suppliers facility.

Check out a post that I wrote on HACCP Record falsification  http://www.haccpment...-falsification/

Edited by HACCP Mentor, 27 June 2013 - 08:43 AM.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

HACCP is so close to all of our hearts, as the numerous posts on this forum demonstrate.

Again I missed Amanda's webinair, but great précis Simon. Some thought provoking stuff there  I think from my perspective, and something that has been discussed here, is what next for Codex? I think a number of people have moved onto CCFRA Ed 4 HACCP as the template to follow. I know that over the years as I have become better acquainted (!!!) with HACCP that my HACCP has become simplified but with a ream of supporting documents from MRA's,  verification audits, validation protocols etc. Probably the HACCP itself is actually the simplest part. It's everything that goes with, and that includes thinking out of the box, that pickles the brain cells.

As a (silly) example, when I was RA my pre-requisites I thought about nicotine patches and documented accordingly. A couple of nights later , I woke up and thought " I should include HRT patches" (too much cheese before bed!), so I've now included that. Am I mad? Well if Carlsberg made mad, then i'm it!

Caz x

Thanked by 1 Member:

HACCP Mentor

HACCP Mentor

• IFSQN Member
  • 132 posts
  • 42 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

BRC Consultant

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

• How we can found hazard in the system

There are many ways to identify your hazards. A good place to start is with the complaints that you are getting and also any non-conformance's that you identify during production, internal audits and GMP audits. Accessing past and present recalls should give you some ideas as well.

Edited by HACCP Mentor, 27 June 2013 - 08:47 AM.

HACCP Mentor

HACCP Mentor

• IFSQN Member
  • 132 posts
  • 42 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

BRC Consultant

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

•how many minimum and maximum ccp can be in system

There is no set amount and is and should be based on your food business and operational environment. Your initial hazard analysis and CCP determination is the guide.

•While including a new CCP is it necessary to review HACCP

Your HACCP plan should be reviewed at a minimum every 12 months or when there are any changes to production, raw materials, equipment etc. The only way you should be coming up with a new CCP is if you have reviewed your HACCP plan (including flow chart / hazard analysis)

HACCP Mentor

HACCP Mentor

• IFSQN Member
  • 132 posts
  • 42 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

BRC Consultant

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

• Can be HACCP apply for a big and small bossiness?

HACCP can be applied to any size business - big, small or medium.

Edited by HACCP Mentor, 27 June 2013 - 08:56 AM.

HACCP Mentor

HACCP Mentor

• IFSQN Member
  • 132 posts
  • 42 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

BRC Consultant

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

• Can we change CCP through a customer complain after root cause analysis?

Absolutely... any type of customer complaint should trigger a food business to go back to their initial hazard analysis and see if the issue has been assessed and an adequate preventative action or control measure has been identified.  This may then lead to a new CCP being identified.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users