• Quick Navigation
Photo

Developing a FSMS from Scratch with Zero Training?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

unnoh05062012

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

hi all,

I have a situation here. i started in company for about 2 weeks now. When i arrived, to my surprise, they don't have any existing documents (product specification, quality manuals, quality control programs etc.) for 12 years. I wonder how they survive. Now, they want me to provide such documents. The problem is, i don't any training for this kind of job. Can somebody please help me to learn these things?..i am willing to learn by all means. 

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hello, you have quite a task.  We can give you all sorts of advice, but please first tell us more about your business.  What products do you make, how do make them, describe your factory, number of employees, management team, who are your customers etc.  Tell us as much as you can.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

A lot of it is common sense.

If you, as Simon asked, let us know what kind of products you are manufacturing, then we can possibly help you.

Your on the right track though. You will need to hld documents such as specifications, HACCP, etc . You don't need to be an expet, and its an oppurtunity for you to make your mark.

Caz x

Tony Z

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

Hello unnoh - Wow...Oh No is right! First things first - settle down. It's not as difficult as you would think - especially with the people on this forum - there is a wealth of knowledge here that you won't find anywhere else - use this forum for your questions as they arise. With no training at all, there is also a lot of information on the web regarding quality systems. IMO, you should start your training getting some basic quality systems knowledge such as ISO 9001:2008 - it will give you an understanding of how the international community views a Quality Management System. Some things that I would suggest first off would be to develop a few Procedures to put into place to start the quality program - You'll need to control the documents you create so I believe that should be your first Procedure - having that in place will allow you to make sure that the documents created are reviewed and approved by other people in the company and that you will have some type of control on what people will be using with regards to the versions that always change - you want to make sure that everyone is using the correct documentation for their jobs - not older versions that would be incorrect to the way things are currently being done. The next Procedure IMO would be a Training Procedure. With the development of the Quality System, you're going to need to make sure that people are properly trained in all of the things that will be coming as new to them - You could always do the Training Procedure 1st but I think that document control is as important because your training materials will need to be controlled correctly so that people are seeing and being trained on the most relevant documents. These 2 procedures will give you a good start on writing and evaluating how you are progressing. Another bit of advice I could give would be to pick a common format for your documents - Procedures, Work Instructions, Forms, etc - people will embrace the documents more if they are similar in nature - they will know a Procedure when they see it, they'll know a Work Instruction when they see it, etc. 

As I mentioned right away - use this forum - the people here are very knowledgeable, helpful and kind.

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

I agree with everyone else.  Getting excited, worried, stressed is not going to help you move forward.

My suggestion is to learn about HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) first.  Don't even go into ISO yet.

HACCP is the basic building block of any QMS (Quality Management System) that exists.  Without HACCP you have nothing.  Once you learn what HACCP is and CP's/CCP's (Control points / Critical Control points) and what validation and verification is you can start the very basics of your food safety QMS program.

You are going to need a lot of time to learn these things with no help even if you are able to be sent to training.

When you decide to start a quality system you can model it after one of the various food safety programs that exist: SQF, BRC, FFSC22000...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

hi all,

I have a situation here. i started in company for about 2 weeks now. When i arrived, to my surprise, they don't have any existing documents (product specification, quality manuals, quality control programs etc.) for 12 years. I wonder how they survive. Now, they want me to provide such documents. The problem is, i don't any training for this kind of job. Can somebody please help me to learn these things?..i am willing to learn by all means. 

Any further info. / comments ??

If you have no technical background, the learning curve may IMO be substantial. It depends. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

RALH

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines
  • Interests:photography, video games, watching movies

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:44 AM

Hi unnoh,

Everybody's suggestions is right, you must take a training first on HACCP as this is your first step on developing a FSMS. We both have same problem and with a strong determination and confidence, you can achieve your goal. And pls. indicate your type of business so that the people in this forum can help you out.

RALH

Lexter Cruz

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines
  • Interests:FSSC22000, ISO 22000, ISO 90001, HACCP, ISO 17025, Continual Improvement, GSO and SASO, SFDA, Prerequisite Programs,Products Dairy, Dry Mixed Product, Dehydrated Culinary Product, Powdered Beverages, Milk, Pasteurized Fermented Milk, Ice Cream, ice Cream Mixes, Meat Processing, Poultry process, Research and Development on food products.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hi Unnoh,

Hope the replies coming our admin, moderator, principal, and co-associate clear your mind. Likewise, we understand you but if you are willing as you said you are "willing to learn by all means" i do recommend that you must communicate it with your management to provide you a training not only you but the rest of the team. To broaden up the issue, establishing and implementing FSMS is not a one man show it should be play by a TEAM now if you are the one who is responsible to document it base on my own experience it is impossible for you to provide everything and document everything...try to read what are the requirement of the standards...

Thanks and God Bless us,
Factory Hygienist

Edited by Simon, 31 May 2013 - 10:11 AM.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Definitely try to get them to send you to a HACCP certification training.  Explain to them moving forward it will help you to create a food safety system that encompasses a wider range of potential threats to your product and protects them more from problems down the road.

There is a lot of information on the internet about HACCP and there are books on it.  If I had my old training booklet I would send you a copy of it but my former boss kept it when I left their employment.  Of course a booklet is not worth as much as the training that went with it but it was made very well and had a good amount of information.

Alternatively, if they will not send you to HACCP training and you can afford it, there are HACCP training programs online where you can get a certificate.  AIB, I believe, has one that a few people in my current factory used.   From what they told me it was excellent training and did not skimp on the work to prove you learned the material.  I believe they said it was around $300 USD for the online course I could be wrong.  No matter what food factory you go to HACCP training can be the difference between getting a quality job and losing a quality job.  It is the only reason I have the job I have today.

And of course you have us to assist you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users