Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

Does anyone have a validation protocol or recommendations to include in the protocal for an empty can rinser & inverter?

The air or water rinse with inversion of the empty packaging is used to control foreign bodies in the product (a CCP). However the type and size of foreign bodies that the various systems are able to control can vary. I am about to write a protocol and any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Does anyone have a validation protocol or recommendations to include in the protocal for an empty can rinser & inverter?

The air or water rinse with inversion of the empty packaging is used to control foreign bodies in the product (a CCP). However the type and size of foreign bodies that the various systems are able to control can vary. I am about to write a protocol and any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Robroy,

:welcome:

You would want to test by inserting the range of foreign bodies that could possibly contaminate the packaging and ensuring they are removed when passing through the rinser. Do you have a specification from the manufacturer of the rinser?

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Shyguy77

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 120 posts
  • 62 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hi robroy

We use air blowers in our facility for this, and there operation is visually checked twice a shift. The effciency of the blowers is also tested at least annually. IMEX whether using air or water to effectively control foriegn material contamination the following are guidelines we follow: The water must be potable or air must be clean and dry, Both systems should have enough force to remove any contaminates,and cans should be inverted to at least a 30 degree angle. The systems should have adquately sized drains to allow for foriegn material removal and have some type of catch screen to trap foriegn material for identification purposes. This trap should be checked at least daily.

Hope this helps you out, while writing up your own protocol.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

robroy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Thanks. Yes, initially I am conducting a risk assessment on all potential foreign bodies in the process (the usual wood, plastic, paper, cardboard). The plan is to test x10 samples of each of the types of material (at various sizes).

justjuice

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:25 PM

We have a that is currently using a water rinse and are thinking of converting it to air.  I've worked in facilities where they have a foreign liquid detector for when the container is inverted.  I was wondering if this is a requirement.  We do receive certified clean containers, so there shouldn't be anything in them but things happen.  

Thanks in advance

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:08 PM

No requirement to use a particular method

IF you switch to air, also remember you'll need to test the air itself for contamination and the air system will need a PM schedule

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: foreign bodies, inverter, packaging, validation, can, rinser, HACCP, physical contamination, glass, metal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users