Grade - Active

• 18 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hello,

Attached is my internal audit program for our upcoming BRC audit. Pick it apart and let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Breann

Attached Files

Thanked by 3 Members:

Bre

Grade - Active

• 18 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Any Opinuions?? Lots of views, no comments.... :helpplease:

Chris @ Safefood 360°

Associate - AIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 104 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

HI Bre,

Aside from the frequency risk assessment in your SOP, a BRC auditor might expect to see a complete list of those audits and their planned dates of completion. (what mechanism is in place to alert you that an audit is due, and what happens if an audit is missed?)

-Chris

Bre

Grade - Active

• 18 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hi Chris,

I have an audit schedule in place that I follow and using my outlook calendar, I am reminded of what audits need to be completed and when. 

- Bre

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Any Opinuions?? Lots of views, no comments.... :helpplease:

Dear Bre,

First BRC audit ?

It would hv been useful IMO to attach the actual forms, particularly for primary IA table. And to specifically list them  in the “program” perhaps.

Not currently a direct BRC user but yr text is certainly not lightweight IMEX. :smile:   I personally tend to use a philosophy that the least material presented to an auditor, the less chance of them spotting a blunder. Perhaps I lack self-belief in my system and have over-belief in auditorial competence.

I considered some elements of yr document, eg XYZ 1-4, not strictly appropriate as part of a “conventional”  IA (the BRC semantics seem typically blurred, eg cf  3.4.1, 3.4.4, and glossary) but this is again subjective I guess.  I previously considered a risk assessment such as you show but I finally decided it was overkill ( eg I hope you can justify all the risk numbers !)  and simply set a starting level within the BRC time limit with a procedure to (risk) adjust this based on results. There is a  sort-of  justification procedure for this posted elsewhere on this forum for another BRC clause  . Nonetheless I have no objection to yr approach, just a slightly different philosophy. It may well adequately flatten some auditors. :thumbup:  For my "designated" IA, I used a basic copy of the BRC standard (eg as in the BRC self-assessment tool), split it up to a  calendar layout (several examples on this forum), did a complete run initially myself over 2-3 days, subsequently delegated / shared.

I also included a cross-linked corrective actions supplement as a permanent part of my IA document. I would suggest this is a useful component  (perhaps it’s in yr “primary” form already?).

Overall, it’s certainly a comprehensive-looking program IMO, if the corresponding forms are equally matched.

I see you hv done a BRC, IA training course so I presume the content scope matches this in minimal (?) terms as per current BRC. Q.E.D. BRC diligence.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
Bre

john.kukoly

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 56 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Breann, I like the layout. As Charles mentioned, many preferences for IA program design. What I like about yours is that it is process focussed (can be harder to audit during the BRC certification audit, but I find process audits tend to keep the IA focussed on the site, not the BRC certification). That comes down to individual preferences, so do what works for you.

I am curious, what do you use to report the annual and 6-monthly audits - do they tend to be more written description, or are they form based?

Impressive, to say the least, you know your food safety well.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Bre

Bre

Grade - Active

• 18 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

John and Charles,

Thank you for responding. It's good to hear positve feedback, and yes this my very first audit. So, John I attached all the documents that pretty much go with the internal audit program, minus some of the sanitation documents. My program pretty much intertwines everything together, so all documents relate to eachother in one way or another. I find that when you have to have your QC fill out document after document it's easier if everything is linked together and it reminds them that if I fill out this form, I need to do this other form as well.

The same goes for the internal audit program. I basically have risk assesed my process based on the clauses, and then turned the clause's into question. Each section has it's own binders with questions and procedures that relate to the clause. Making it easy for people to understand. At this time I have limited my auditors to two office staff members, because this program is so new and I have spread the audits out throughout the year, using my audit schedule. If you would like to see anything else, please feel free to ask and thank you for the feedback.

Breann

Attached Files

Thanked by 5 Members:

Cheza0021

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:46 AM

I'm sure you have made quantum leaps sine last year. Your format & documents are pretty darn good looking but they are cumbersome (I mean that in a good way, lol). Your doc look like mine when I first started. One thing that I have learned over the last few years is that less is better. Your SOP reads like the Audit. How many people do you have working for you? It feel like a lot with so many tasks being performed daily, weekly, etc. I have 12pg SOP and 50pg audits form, but what I found best is 1-sheet exl. It's easier to correct a dozen defect then 50 defects before the next walk-thru. You will find over the year that things duplicate. But your formats are very through.

Attached Files

Thanked by 3 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

Dear Cheza,

This looks like the same attachment as in yr current parallel post -

http://www.ifsqn.com...nts/#entry68938

It helps to avoid confusion by using cross-links where possible.

I think I agree with you that I found the previous program perhaps a little over-zealous but I also got the same kind of reaction from yr attachment also which I understand was designed for AIB. It is possible that the 2 standards are somewhat different in their requirements ? :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

dshapos

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 23 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

This all looks good.  We did something similar with the actual audit forms, but added the docs to be reviewed so nothing was overlooked.

Herman_Louw

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Namibia
    Namibia

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

I agree with Charles

Good luck with your first BRC audit

Share this