• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hi

Our plant is packaging industry for food products. We already certified to ISO 9001. Now our management wants to implement one of food safety management system. Management wants us to document food system under any GFSI recognize scheme and it would be our choice

I have search for different schemes under GFSI and found SQF is better in term of documenting system but since we have already ISO manual as per 9001, it would be chaos for both system unless we have 2 manual.

I have looked information for FSSC standard which is good choice but there is no help related to documentation unless you pay big amount for it. Are there any help/ documents available?

Please give me your though if I decide to go for SQF.

Thanks

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

Hi

Our plant is packaging industry for food products. We already certified to ISO 9001. Now our management wants to implement one of food safety management system. Management wants us to document food system under any GFSI recognize scheme and it would be our choice

I have search for different schemes under GFSI and found SQF is better in term of documenting system but since we have already ISO manual as per 9001, it would be chaos for both system unless we have 2 manual.

I have looked information for FSSC standard which is good choice but there is no help related to documentation unless you pay big amount for it. Are there any help/ documents available?

Please give me your though if I decide to go for SQF.

Thanks

Depending on the extent of your current systems there may be plenty to do with regards to HACCP & Prerequisite Implementation.

SQF info and Guidance here

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:
sci

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

It may be helpful if you could tell us what you product and manufacturing process is and also perhaps outline your procedures (contents list).

There are some documents available here: HACCP Manual and Procedures for Packaging Company

Although the documents are not prepared specifically for ISO 9001 & SQF you should still get a good idea of some areas in which you may have gaps.  As you are certified to ISO 9001 that is a good foundation and your weakness is likely to be in HACCP and GMP / prerequisite procedures.

The more you can tell us the more we can help.

By the way have you downloaded the SQF standard for packaging and the guidance documents?

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:
sci

dhoom

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Thanks for replying

We are manufacturing plastic containers which can be used for food, pharmaceutical and personal/home care. (Process requires heating plastic pallets and blowing to desire shape). For ISO manual all 4 to 8 elements apply to us.

I have downloaded SQF requirements and guidance documents.  My concern is how the SQF requirement integrate with ISO system?.

Thanks

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

They won't just slip in your current manual in numerical order without a great deal of work.  Of course some procedures required under SQF will already be part of ISO 9001 such as managment review, internal audit, document control etc.  What I would do is look at what you have in ISO 9001 and then check the requirements of SQF and extend procedures in your current system where possible.

Personally I would have one manual that includes your quality policy, food safety policy and any other policies.  Or you may choose to write a combined food safety and quality policy. Then the organisation structure(s), you may well have an additional organisation structure outlining your food safety responsibilities as the structure / personel may be different to the quality structure; it could be the same, depends how you are set up.

In terms of procedures you need to write and implement them to cover SQF requirements, but they can be referenced in the various sections of ISO 9001 e.g. pest control, factory standards, cleaning etc. would surely go in 6.3/6.4.  HACCP in 7/7.1.  etc.

in my opinion it is desirable to have:

- a top level manual that references procedures
- a HACCP manual

- where possible procedures that cover requirements of both standards

- additional (standard specific) procedures

- then all of your documents, forms, checklists etc.

ISO 9001:2008

4.2 Documentation requirements
5    Management responsibility
5.1 Management commitment
5.2 Customer focus
5.3 Quality policy
5.4 Planning
5.5 Responsibility, authority and communication
5.6 Management review
6    Resource management
6.1 Provision of resources
6.2 Human resources
6.3 Infrastructure
6.4 Work environment
7    Product realization
7.1 Planning of product realization
7.2 Customer-related processes
7.3 Design and development
7.4 Purchasing
7.5 Production and service provision
7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment
8    Measurement, analysis and improvement
8.1 General
8.2 Monitoring and measurement
8.3 Control of nonconforming product
8.4 Analysis of data
8.5 Improvement

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:
sci

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

Dear dhoom,

You omitted to mention if SQF level2 or3. "Quality" features are noticeably absent in 22000 and, I think. SQF Lev.2 but (obviously) occur in SQF Lvl3 and in BRC also

Couldn't find any "integrate" info for SQF but this example for (combined)  BRC5(food) / iso 9001 may give you some idea of a typical structural format.

Attached File  BRC5(food) - ISO 9001 manual, 2.1.pdf   342.9KB   137 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Edited by Charles.C, 11 June 2013 - 01:17 PM.
2.1 mainly re-formatting, prev.got misaligned

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
sci

Dave R

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

I too was in the same situation a couple months ago.  i eliminated a couple of the stds. and was left with SQF and FSSC22000.  I spoke with my ISO9001 registrar and they have a Food Safe Manager who was very helpfull.  Try yours.

Also the cost of the ISO22000 and PAS223 were about $140 so not that much.

Since ISO22000 contains the quality management system I'm going to drop ISO9001 and move to FSSC22000 which uses the above two stds.  This is the only system which you will not have to revise your QMS.

Best of Luck.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

I too was in the same situation a couple months ago.  i eliminated a couple of the stds. and was left with SQF and FSSC22000.  I spoke with my ISO9001 registrar and they have a Food Safe Manager who was very helpfull.  Try yours.

Also the cost of the ISO22000 and PAS223 were about $140 so not that much.

Since ISO22000 contains the quality management system I'm going to drop ISO9001 and move to FSSC22000 which uses the above two stds.  This is the only system which you will not have to revise your QMS.

Best of Luck.

Dear DaveR,

One possible caveat over FSSC22000 packaging re GFSI –

http://www.ifsqn.com...indpost&p=60909

Maybe since favorably adjusted. Maybe unrelated yr interest also. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

dhoom

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:05 AM

Thank you all provide me these information and file download.

Many Many thanks

Dhoom

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Dear dhoom,

Just in case of any interest, this older file (2002) previously posted here describes how to generically integrate Codex HACCP into a iso9001 manual.

Attached File  HACCP___ISO_9000.pdf   246.88KB   114 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

dhoom

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

Hi,

After brief discussion with our top management team, we have decided to go with FSSC 2200 because easy integration with ISO 9001 system.

I am not clear about the requirement for FSSC 22000. As per booklet part I from FSSC 22000, organization has to comply with ISO 22000+PRP programs in our case PAS 223. What other requirement organization should comply? Please give some light on this.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hi,

After brief discussion with our top management team, we have decided to go with FSSC 2200 because easy integration with ISO 9001 system.

I am not clear about the requirement for FSSC 22000. As per booklet part I from FSSC 22000, organization has to comply with ISO 22000+PRP programs in our case PAS 223. What other requirement organization should comply? Please give some light on this.

That's right you will need to comply with ISO 22000:2005 Food safety management systems - Requirements for any organization in the food chain and PAS 223:2011 Prerequisite programmes and design requirements for food safety in the manufacture and provision of food packaging (although I suspect that this PAS will be withdrawn and we will be left with ISO/DTS 22002-4 Prerequisite programmes on food safety -- Part 4: Food packaging manufacturing at some stage).

More details on this forum http://www.ifsqn.com...n-requirements/

Regards,

Tony

MCIAN

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 100 posts
  • 41 thanks
Good

• Philippines
    Philippines
  • Interests:Law of attraction & Meditation

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:01 AM

We too are certified to ISO 9001 and is now preparing for BRC/IOP for the 4th plant only. The gaps in the QMS Manual are addressed in the Product Safety Management System (PSMS) Manual.

RLA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

My Company is currently ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 certified as well as AIB certified.  We are looking to switch to SQF and I am looking for a general comparison of the differences between what we have and SQF.  Need to present to management.

Thanks.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users