• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone with a more technical aptitude than myself would be able to assist me. I work in the quality control sector of a soft drinks beverage company and I am working on consistent product fill height. As the drinks are carbonated I am wondering if there is a nullage space equation or something of that nature to help direct me on the optimum fill height.

Much appreciated

Creative86

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hello Pink40,

Though I have worked in the brewery I have never thought about this aspect as it did'nt pose much threat to quality and it is automated. I believe the head space in terms of carbonated drinks depends on the pressurization of the GLASS bottles. Surfing through the internet i found this table from a google book. I think this might help you.  I will keep you posted if at all i tumble across any specifications for the same subject.

Follow this link

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

Creative

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hello Pink40,

Though I have worked in the brewery I have never thought about this aspect as it did'nt pose much threat to quality and it is automated. I believe the head space in terms of carbonated drinks depends on the pressurization of the GLASS bottles. Surfing through the internet i found this table from a google book. I think this might help you.  I will keep you posted if at all i tumble across any specifications for the same subject.

Follow this link

Creative

Dear Creative,

Thks for input, the link in yr post gave a restricted page for me perhaps due to truncation however using the (rt click) "copy link location" as a URL did work. Strange. Maybe depends on browser.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Can you clarify if you are bottling in glass or plastic (e.g. PET) the usual way to control this is through gravametric checks taking account of the specific gravity of the beverage and not the volume of the beverage. The fill point is often a visual issue and in the main is controlled at the design stage of the container. If pressure is affecting the fill levels it usually means the container has not been designed correctly taking into account wall thinkness, preform weight, stretching during blow molding (PET) and operational carbonation pressures.

George 

Thanked by 1 Member:

pink40

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

Hello Pink40,

Follow this link

Creative

Thanks Creative,

I think I will purchase this book, I appreciate your help.

pink40

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Can you clarify if you are bottling in glass or plastic (e.g. PET) the usual way to control this is through gravametric checks taking account of the specific gravity of the beverage and not the volume of the beverage. The fill point is often a visual issue and in the main is controlled at the design stage of the container. If pressure is affecting the fill levels it usually means the container has not been designed correctly taking into account wall thinkness, preform weight, stretching during blow molding (PET) and operational carbonation pressures.

George 

Hi George,

We bottle in both Glass and PET, but mainly PET.The fill level is giving us some bother alright but I had never considered the container, I was thinking it might have something to do with the machinery, which I will get checked to rule it out if nothing else. On your advise I will consult the bottling company to elucidate if they took into account these parameters when designing the bottles.

Thanks

Share this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users