Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

Passing certification, which GFSI scheme is better? Scheme should be easy to implement for packaging industry?

skredsfan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Grilling, Sports, & Continual Education!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Our company (paperboard packaging) is halfway through the process. We've already had our stage 1 FSSC 22000 Audit. It went well! Our stage 2 Certification Audit is in a couple weeks. We chose FSSC 22000 because of its ISO 9001 Parallels, but the HACCP Portion can be a little confusing at times because of the OPRP'S :-(

I believe IFS has a standard called PAC Secure which is strictly applicable to packaging manufacturers. That might be one that you want to look in to. I'll let you know how our stage 2 audit goes, but aside from the minor HACCP issues, FSSC 22000 seems to be a very attainable certification for packagers. Good Luck to you!

Peace

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I have search about PAC secure and found it is not under GFSI scheme. Our main purpose to certify under GFSI scheme,

I had impression for FSSC 22000 that it is hard to pass compare to other GFSI scheme. Is there any one has experience working on both scheme.

ggansner

Associate

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

IFS PACsecure is in the benchmarking process for GFSI and is already accepted by Nestle, Kraft, Coca-Cola, Unilever, Pepsico, and more large manufacturers. They accept it already because they know IFS has the capability to pass the GFSI benchmark, expected to be achieved within 30-60 days from now. Please feel free to contact me if you want more information on IFS PACsecure.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

Passing certification, which GFSI scheme is better? Scheme should be easy to implement for packaging industry?

Dear Peace,

What do you mean by better, easy ??

There is at least one other thread here on yr general question. From memory, this used "better" criteria of clarity / prescriptiveness. There, I think the preference was for BRC as compared to FSSC22000. But as per earlier post in this thread, it may relate to things like existing knowledge base. Maybe your company has none of the latter ?.

Rtds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Peace

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

Mr. ggansner, thanks for your reply

I have not looked at IFS PAC secure requirements yet because I have searched GFSI compairison chart which show that PAC secure is not easy to merge with ISO 9001 system, which discourages me even to look into standard requirements. We have customers from different sectors. We need to keep our QMS for both quality and food safety. I would like to know if Pac secure is cover for quality requirements as well.

Mr. Charles.C , when I said better means I am comparing FSSC 22000 and SQF. I have responsibility to implement one of these schemes. I had HACCP training last month and I have been told to implement system as soon as possible. I have experience working in ISO 9001 system and our company manual and WI based on ISO 9001 2008 standards. I am new to food safety schemes.  I do not want to go for any training and that reason I had asked which scheme is easy to implement.

I have read both SQF codes and ISO 22000 requirements and I find SQF is easy to follow since document guide also available from SQF.  Since our system is based on ISO system  FCCS  22000 is best choice but there is no implementation guide available for  ISO 22000 and PAS 223 .

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Dear Peace,

I’m inclined to agree with you that FSSC22000 should be structurally a more natural fit than SQF with iso9001. I also agree with you that iso-speak is not exactly identical to the English language. However if you are already familiar with iso9001, I guess text is no problem for you. Except perhaps regarding the notorious OPRP, although this seems to be becoming a less contentious topic (auditor boredom maybe).

There looks to be relatively few examples here of  people using integrated iso9001/(SQF/brc) as compared to iso22000.

AFAIK, fssc22000 (packaging) has not yet completed benchmarking by GFSI.?

There are various discussions / attachments here relating to iso9001 / (haccp, iso9001/brc, iso9001/iso22000 ), eg –

http://www.ifsqn.com...safety-of-food/

2008 (iso22000/haccp)

http://www.ifsqn.com...22000-iso-9001/

2008 (iso9001/iso22000)

http://www.ifsqn.com...f-and-iso-9001/

2013 (packaging)iso9001/(sqf vs fssc22000 > 22000)

Maybe of some interest if not already studied.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - IFS i omitted to check. My apologies George :sofa1: and kudos to yr webinar.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Peace

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for all replies. I was not expecting any straight answer to this question but definately it helped me to choose the direction i want to go.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

GFSI current benchmarked standards for scope of recognition M Production of Food Packaging:

Food Safety System Certification 22000 (FSSC 22000)

SQF CODE 7TH EDITION LEVEL 2

BRC/IOP GLOBAL STANDARD FOR PACKAGING AND PACKAGING MATERIALS ISSUE 4

Deciding which is the best should take into consideration customer requirements and potential future markets.

Regards,

Tony

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

We are presently working with two packaging companies to achieve SQF Code Level II (FSC 27 and Modules 2 & 13).  In both cases they felt it better to go SQF based on their customer base.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

The advice is always ask your top customers.

Maybe they are already certified to a particular GFSI scheme, in which case you can talk the same language, which helps.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users