• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hello,

Can someone send and example of their Approved Supplier Program or an outline of theirs just so I can get a better idea of how I should be writing this up. We are moving toward BRC certification. Thank you

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

Hello,

Can someone send and example of their Approved Supplier Program or an outline of theirs just so I can get a better idea of how I should be writing this up. We are moving toward BRC certification. Thank you

This is what we have used in the past. We have since updated our systems to be fully intergrated with QAD and to track what docments we need from each vendor as they expire. When a doucment expires an item cannot be recieved in/or used until the proper doucmentation or authorization has been obtained.  

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

Our supplier approval follows the form essentially, we just outlined the length of time that each document is valid for. We also added that, when there is a need, we would be able to visit the vendor's facility and perform our own audit if needed at their cost.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hello,

Dear Lazlo,

It might be useful to know what type of item is being supplied and what you are making from it ? A question of relative risk .

@David Pham - thks for the form. I am curious as to what is expected to be included in the "letter of guarantee" ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Lazlo

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

We are working with acidic condiments, bottled vinegars, and bottles oils so very low risk food.

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Charles -  A letter of guarantee should include the vendor's guarantee that the items purchased are of good quality and have not been tampered with (that they know of, or while in their control).  Also in the event that negligence is found on their part they would assume the responsiblity. Sometimes, it's hard to get vendors to do this as they are not the ones involved in the production. In some cases, we have accepted a letter from the vendor stating that the items purchased, were stored in a safe and sanitary environment prior to purchase and are of pure quality when talking about ingredients or chemicals. We have then gone back to the manufacturer to get a letter from them stating the items that we purchased we made using quality materials that are safe for food use or its intended purpose.  

Lazlo - Anytime you are dealing with food there is somewhat of a risk. The biological risk may be low but what about the physical and chemical aspect of it? What happens if a vendor sells you a drum of vingear that was stored below some toxic chemicals and it becomes contaminated prior to you purchaing it? What if there is metal shavings in your dry spice you may use to make your dressings? The letter would show that you did your due diligence to assure that the items you purchased were in good condition prior to you purchasing it.

Edited by David Pham, 09 July 2013 - 02:05 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

We are working with acidic condiments, bottled vinegars, and bottles oils so very low risk food.

Dear Lazlo,

I suggest you have a look at this elegant example and the useful discussion / examples around it–

http://www.ifsqn.com...511/#entry52714

Plus maybe –

http://www.ifsqn.com...513/#entry56611

http://www.ifsqn.com...ent/#entry51309

@David Pham - thks for the clarification. It was the interpretation / responsibility associated with "Guarantee"  that intrigued me. Something to strongly avoid offering  IMEX unless the exceptions are very well-defined. CoAs are also quite popular, when you can get them. And some items are certainly tricky all round as you say, eg raw vegetables.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Dear Lazlo,

I suggest you have a look at this elegant example and the useful discussion / examples around it–

http://www.ifsqn.com...511/#entry52714

Plus maybe –

http://www.ifsqn.com...513/#entry56611

http://www.ifsqn.com...ent/#entry51309

@David Pham - thks for the clarification. It was the interpretation / responsibility associated with "Guarantee"  that intrigued me. Something to strongly avoid offering  IMEX unless the exceptions are very well-defined. CoAs are also quite popular, when you can get them. And some items are certainly tricky all round as you say, eg raw vegetables.

Rgds / Charles.C

For the last year with part of our supplier approval program we require CoAs on all items ordered. We will not receive the item/or allow it for use until we recieve the CoA. At first we recieved a great deal of push back but have since have been able to get suppliers that comply with this. In some cases we dropped suppliers and they came back a few months later with what we wanted.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Suppliers are often funny that way. 

We have a whole list of things that prospective suppliers must supply before we even consider them.

Current suppliers are also required to adhere to the requirements if they expect to remain suppliers.

Marshall

Lazlo

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Thank you everyone! This is very helpful indeed

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BRC certification, Approved supplier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users