• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

HI

Can anyone help we a small company with 28 employees and two shifts and each shift having about 13 employees.

we manufacture health bars ,and energy bars ,we are third party contractors we don't have our own brands .

we have been running for six months and we do have ISO90001 in place that we did on our own no certification ,

we now want a certification but confused as we wanted FSSC 22000 but one consultant told us that it is not accredited yet and the best standard will be to go for ISO22000

please help

what is the difference between the three standards

ISO 22000

HACCP

FSSC 22000?

REGARDS

khanyisa

South Africa

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hello Khanyisa,

ISO 22000 on its own is not a GFSI approved standard as it is a generic food safety management system and not prescriptive enough on the requirements related to specific types of food industry businesses.

ISO 22000+sector specific PRP’s such as ISO 22002-1 for Food Manufacturers = FSSC 22000 Certification. FSSC 22000 is and accredited certification scheme and is GFSI approved.

ISO 9000 should give you a head start with FSSC 22000 especially if you also have HACCP based food safety system and procedures.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

kanyisa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

1. thanks Simon

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

You're welcome Kanyisa.

If you do decide to go for FSSC 22000 or any other standard we have members who have already been down the same road and also consultants and certification bodies etc. so feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi

what is the difference between the three standards

ISO 22000

HACCP

FSSC 22000?

REGARDS

khanyisa

South Africa

Hi Khanyisa,

Certification to ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000 are more common.

ISO 22000 - ISO 22000:2005 Food safety management systems - Requirements for any organization in the food chain
ISO 22000:2005 is generic rather than specific and defines general requirements for a food safety management system where an organization in the food chain needs to demonstrate its ability to control food safety hazards in order to ensure that food is safe at the time of human consumption. It is applicable to all organizations, regardless of size, which are involved in any aspect of the food chain and want to implement systems that consistently provide safe products.

HACCP - Is a systematic approach to identifying critical food safety control points in your process and accepted worldwide. HACCP certification is not so common and usually based on customer request
HACCP principles are prescribed in CODEX GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF FOOD HYGIENE CAC/RCP 1-1969 SECTION HAZARD ANALYSIS AND CRITICAL CONTROL POINT (HACCP) SYSTEM AND GUIDELINES FOR ITS APPLICATION

FSSC 22000 - FSSC 22000 contains a complete certification scheme for Food Safety Systems

This scheme is recognised and benchmarked by GFSI
Certification for Food Manufacturing Organisations is based on compliance with international standards ISO 22000:2005 Food safety management systems -- Requirements for any organization in the food chain and ISO/TS 22002-1:2009 Prerequisite programmes on food safety -- Part 1: Food manufacturing ISO/TS 22002-1:2009 specifies requirements for establishing, implementing and maintaining prerequisite programmes (PRP) to assist in controlling food safety hazards. It is applicable to all organizations, regardless of size or complexity, which are involved in the manufacturing step of the food chain and is not intended for use in other parts of the food supply chain.

Regards,

Tony

kanyisa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Tony

we have decided that we want FSSC 22000 and now is on the first week of September now I am busy preparing the documentation and trying to review the system .

the plant layout is okay it has been designed well and traceability im fine but its all these other  documents that I need to put in place

can anyone who has gone down this route give me some advice on things that are major ,I don't want to waste time on things that are not important on this standard.

helpppppppppppp please

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

Dear kanyisa,

Well, approx., fssc22000 = iso9001 +iso-haccp + pas220 (which basically folds into haccp)

So presumably you have most of the 9001-related part already?.

And I presume you are familiar with traditional haccp.?

Leaves iso-haccp and probably a probably a few bits of pas220

If you want a look at one version of iso-haccp, see the model thread –

http://www.ifsqn.com...744/#entry39585

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thanks Tony

we have decided that we want FSSC 22000 and now is on the first week of September now I am busy preparing the documentation and trying to review the system .

the plant layout is okay it has been designed well and traceability im fine but its all these other  documents that I need to put in place

can anyone who has gone down this route give me some advice on things that are major ,I don't want to waste time on things that are not important on this standard.

helpppppppppppp please

Hi Kanyisa,

Depends on how much you have in place but prerequisite programmes lay the foundation for food safety and need to be in place prior to hazard analysis so start by ensuring these are covered:

Construction and layout of buildings and associated utilities
Layout of premises, including workspace and employee facilities
Supplies of air, water, energy and other utilities
Supporting services, including waste and sewage disposal
Suitability of equipment and its accessibility for cleaning, maintenance and preventive maintenance
Management of purchased materials
Measures for the prevention of cross contamination
Cleaning and sanitizing
Pest control
Personnel hygiene
Rework
Product recall procedures
Warehousing
Product information and consumer awareness
Food defence, biovigilance and bioterrorism

Regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 08 August 2013 - 02:47 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users