• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is Internal Auditor Training required by SQF?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

pvaz869

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

New Member here trying to find out if internal auditor training is required by SQF

I know that training requirements are brutal per the code; but curious if outside training is necessary or required for internal auditing.   

Thanks

Paul

Thanked by 1 Member:

TheDude

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

From the guidance:

For internal audits to be effective, staff conducting internal audits must be trained in internal auditing techniques,

information gathering and objective observation. This training need not be “formal” training provided by an

external source. Internal auditor training covers internal audit procedures, including the planning and scheduling

of internal audits, preparing internal audit reports and initiating and following up on audit findings. Internal audits

should combine several information gathering techniques, including interview of personnel, review of records and

observation of current conditions.

Similar thread:

http://www.ifsqn.com...ning#entry52255

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,231 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

New Member here trying to find out if internal auditor training is required by SQF

I know that training requirements are brutal per the code; but curious if outside training is necessary or required for internal auditing.   

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

:welcome:

SQF Code 2.5.7.2 requirement: Staff conducting internal audits shall be trained in internal audit procedures.

Lee has covered off the question regarding external training. If you carry out internally, it will need to be done by suitably qualified staff - from the Guidance: 2.9 Training: Training may be completed on the job by qualified technical staff or externally by recognized institutions.

Regards,

Tony

pvaz869

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thanks to all for great answers.    I was curious what the answer would be and the code reads like "stereo instructions"

Appreciate the help

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

Going to resurrect this one. 

I was previously trained in internal auditing for ISO and we are going for SQF Level 2. I do not have my certificate from my ISO training. Has anyone ever had an auditor ask for the proof/documentation of the training? I can try to get a copy from my old position but am unsure if I'll be able to do so. 

Thanks for your help!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

RMAV

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 122 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:QA, Micro, Sanitation;
    Meats, Juice, Condiments;
    SQF, Audit, and aviation

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:53 AM

I was previously trained in internal auditing for ISO and we are going for SQF Level 2. I do not have my certificate from my ISO training. Has anyone ever had an auditor ask for the proof/documentation of the training? I can try to get a copy from my old position but am unsure if I'll be able to do so. 

Thanks for your help!

I got asked this one.  I had been trained in internal audit for ISO 22000/PAS 220 and 9000:2001 a few years ago, but I did not have a certificate.  I justified it with industry experience in auditing, being audited. 

Auditor A said this was cool.

Auditor B said I had to have a certificate.  I did point out that the SQF standard guidance specifically stated it need not be formal.  On that specific point I believe the auditor was wrong.  Even so, I really only had statements in my program *that I wrote* stating all this wonderful experience and training I had, but I did not have any records from my old jobs to objectively corroborate my statements.  I got a deserved minor and did not fight the training certificate issue.

I can't fault either auditor on this, but I have to lean toward Auditor B on this one.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,231 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for your help!

I have been asked for copies of certificates for all of my 'claimed' qualifications during audits. I could throw in the experience card but it is easier just to produce copies as requested and objective evidence. Once you get into evidence regarding experience and capability the auditor can view this as subjective and accordingly base their own judgment on it.

Regards,

Tony

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:25 AM

Internal Auditor Training is a requirement and can be done either by having a training provider come on-site, internally trained by your own experienced employees or by software such as we have for our clients.

You must "prove" training completion for everyone involved on internal audits.

For instance we review the tests and issue certificates and it is the certificate that proves training or if in house you'll need to have records on who, what, when, where etc to prove it.

General internal audit training is fine as you don't need to take an SQF specific course.

Glenn Oster

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

scoot915

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

Internal Auditor Training is a requirement and can be done either by having a training provider come on-site, internally trained by your own experienced employees or by software such as we have for our clients.

You must "prove" training completion for everyone involved on internal audits.

For instance we review the tests and issue certificates and it is the certificate that proves training or if in house you'll need to have records on who, what, when, where etc to prove it.

General internal audit training is fine as you don't need to take an SQF specific course.

Glenn Oster

Wondering from your answer if taking Implementing SQF course includes internal auditing training and receiving the certificate for the SQF course would cover internal auditing?  

RMAV

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 122 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:QA, Micro, Sanitation;
    Meats, Juice, Condiments;
    SQF, Audit, and aviation

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:31 PM

"Wondering from your answer if taking Implementing SQF course includes internal auditing training and receiving the certificate for the SQF course would cover internal auditing? "

Hit and miss.  I've seen audit reports in which this was accepted.  I've seen audit reports where it was a minor.

Thanked by 1 Member:

scoot915

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.  Guess I am better off getting training to cover my butt.   thanks again

tadelong

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:03 PM

I got a minor for not having formal training. I would have liked to fight it but there's only so much you can argue about. I found an online course that sucked up two days' office time and taught me nothing, but at least I got a certificate. I can now justify training others in the internal auditing process, too. I feel SQF spends far too much time on formal training, but it's their prerogative, I suppose.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Auditor, Internal Audit, SQF Audit, Training

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users