• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Hi

I am looking for advice regarding staph aureus. I work for a low care vegetable processing company. We have been hand swabbing for staph aureus for the last 12 months. I have only recently had a positive result on one of our production staff. We have re-swabbed him and it came back positive again. I believe he could be a carrier. The result was <20. Apart from retraining on personal hygiene, is there any other corrective action I could put in to place?

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Dear davwnmo,

For starters, I suggest you make absolutely sure of the validity of the result, eg  completed  coagulase positive test reaction on a typical, purified colony.

It may also depend on what you mean by low care ?

Is there a regulatory standard involved in UK ?

I recall a previous thread here (not UK) where a worker was not intrinsically a carrier but was believed to be routinely coming into contact with a source of S.aureus outside of his work. Theoretically correctable.

From memory, certain functions are also not always regarded as requiring a zero-tolerance although a carrier status would be pragmatic.

gloves ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

clmadeira

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hello,

In my opinion, I think the person in question should go to the doctor and perform more thorough examinations. He may have caught a virus and need medication. Until then the person should not contact with food until they get the results of the examination and approval of the doctor as is fit to return to work.

Regards

Clara

Thanked by 1 Member:

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hi all,

please be aware that many people are carriers of Staph aureus in their nose, especially if they are having animals at home or doing sports with animals (horses). Medication does not help and is "not ethical" due to the fact I wrote. Include in your hygiene training to avoid unintentional or unconcious touching of the area around the nose.

Rgds

moskito

SUSHIL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 162 posts
  • 225 thanks
Good

• India
    India

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:25 AM

Hello dawnmo,

it may not be coagulase positive staphylococcus but normal staphyloccocus.Only coagulase positive syaphyloccocus are pathogenic.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users