• Quick Navigation
Photo

Hot water for cleaning, is it mandatory by regulating agencies?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Jessica Zeigler

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

I am pretty new to the food industry, and the topic of hot water for the purpose of processing and cleaning came up. Can any one tell me if it is mandatory by FDA, or third party auditors such as SQF to have hot water for the purpose of cleaning and processing. 

Thank you in advance, Jessica

CaliforniaFS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Hi Jessica,

Hot water is needed. 

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Jessica,

Whatever you use to clean, you will need to demonstrate that it is effective. Whether you use warm, hot or cool, (and I would suggest hot) you will need to provide documenation that it is effective. Scientific literature, lab results from your swabbing,
recommendations from your chemical company or past practices by your sanitation company.
Also, whatever temp you use, you will need documentation that you regularly achieve that temperature.

Kind Regards,
Setanta

Edited by Setanta, 11 December 2013 - 09:06 PM.

-Setanta         

KevinB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Hi Jessica,

KevinB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hi Jessica,

Hot water is required. Check your local food code for the required temp.

Kevin

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

Not to be the lone wolf, but I have seen environments and equipment that could not handle hot water.  It was cleaned with food grade degreasers, cold water and then sanitized.  Health department, FDA did not have a problem with it.  ATP, micro and allergen counts were good.  Utensils and other items were cleaned the normal way with soap, hot water and then sanitized. 

Edited by Snookie, 11 December 2013 - 10:13 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

mapry2

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 92 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

We use cleaning chemical from Diversy and they clearly mentioned on their product specification that the soap/Sanitiser works effectively between 4-26 degree C temperature. I have my swab analysis to verify my cleaning. We are SQF Level 2 certified from last 3 years and did not have any issue with meeting the SQF code requirements.

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 326 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

I don't believe it is a mandatory requirements to use hot water. The cleaning method for a particular application/food substrait may indeed require a high temperature to be effective but this is not the same as a legal or mandatory requirement. In fact years ago I conducted extensive trials on a CIP system whereby we increased the dosage of chemical in order to use lower temperatures to save energy costs. Cleaning effectiveness is usually a function of physical, chemical and heat combinations. One can be increased or reduced to adjust another. As long as your method is validated and you can monitor and show this, then your method is effective regardless of temperate or other variable.

This is not to say there may be some legal requirement somewhere that requires a specific temperature. For example if hot water is being used in the final hot rinse step in automatic utensil washers, I have seen standards that must be applied. The suppliers of the washer will usually specify it or some vertical regulation may make it mandatory. 

My advise is simply ask the regularly agency that inspects your operation.

George     

Edited by George Howlett, 12 December 2013 - 12:49 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:08 AM

Dear Jessica Zeigler,

As per George, I can see no mention of “shall” regarding use of hot water for process cleaning in FDA Food Code. Other national regulations could depend on context, eg product.

SQF code7.1 seemingly not mandatory for process, text below is repeated multiply –

3.5.1.2     Supplies  of  hot  and  cold  water  shall  be  provided  as required  to  enable  the  effective  cleaning  of  the premises and equipment.

However hot water is mandated for lunch rooms in Code 7.1.

And, typically confusedly for SQF, their  guidance manual for Code 7.1 states -

For small items of equipment such as tools, knives, tubs, cutting boards, etc., a wash area shall be provided with sufficient hot and cold running water, a suitable detergent and sanitizer for cleaning and when necessary, suitable racks for draining/drying equipment, utensils, and protective clothing. These areas shall be identified

Only SQF know the whole story perhaps. :smile:

Further, as already noted, specific regulations for yr locality / product / process may apply. No data supplied in OP to comment on this.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

I am pretty new to the food industry, and the topic of hot water for the purpose of processing and cleaning came up. Can any one tell me if it is mandatory by FDA, or third party auditors such as SQF to have hot water for the purpose of cleaning and processing. 

Thank you in advance, Jessica

Hi Jessica,

:welcome:

Re; Charles post, he is correct but Module 3 is for Animal Feed, the relevant clauses are:

'11.3.10 Lunch Rooms
iii. Equipped with a sink serviced with hot and cold potable water for washing utensils;
11.5 Water, Ice and Air Supply
11.5.1.2 Supplies of hot and cold water shall be provided as required to enable the effective cleaning of the premises and equipment.
'

It is difficult to see that you do not need hot water for cleaning. Let us know what products you are manufacturing. Some areas of a manufacturing plant may only use dry cleaning where water is not necessary, such as dry blending operations. Spray drying operations also tend to be dry but with periodic wet cleaning and CIP with hot water.

Regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 12 December 2013 - 07:18 AM.

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

Warm water per FDA Code 2009 (Food Retail):  http://www.fda.gov/F...e/ucm181242.htm

I don't think SQF specifically states hot or warm water for hand washing.  Module 11 does state: 

11.5.1.2 Supplies of hot and cold water shall be provided as required to enable the effective cleaning of the

premises and equipment.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

Warm water per FDA Code 2009 (Food Retail):  http://www.fda.gov/F...e/ucm181242.htm

I don't think SQF specifically states hot or warm water for hand washing.  Module 11 does state: 

11.5.1.2 Supplies of hot and cold water shall be provided as required to enable the effective cleaning of the

premises and equipment.

Thks for the link.

Actually the OP didn't mention handwashing (or Lunch Rooms :smile: )(or her product/process),  but maybe interesting anyway. Hopefully Jessica will come back sometime. :smile:

Re-11.5.1.2, also see previous post.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users