• Quick Navigation
Photo

Validation requirements on change of can profile?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

javy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

hi there.

good day.

currently our plant is using 3 piece 603 X 408 tin can. and we are planning to shift in using 2 piece 603 x 408 tin can.

my question is that, do we need to conduct another heat penetration test fot the products that we are going to pack?

Dharmadi Sadeli Putra

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 161 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

Dear Javy,

The rule is "Heat penetration test should be conducted if there are any changes in product formulation and packaging specification that may affect heat penetration". If your new can have different material spec and dimension, then you should do that. On your previous test you may see detailed can specs such as 3-P can or 2-P can

Rgds,

Avila 

javy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

dear sir avila,

the dimension and material specs of both cans are the same. the only difference is that from 3 piece we go to 2 piece. if we do again the heat penetration test, then it will change all our records.

thanks sir for your help.

gonna talk to my boss about this...

regards,

javy

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

I would have thought you'd do it for validation in your HACCP. Unless you can get something from the supplier, how do you know if there is a change for heat penetration?

Caz

javy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

dear ms caz,

good day.

our records of heat pen indicates that we used 3 piece603X408 tin can can during the test. what i am trying to look at is that when we used this 2 piece 603X408 tin can, can we use the records of heat pen of the 3 piece tin can?  both of them has the same material and dimension specs.

hope you can help me on this.

regard,

javy

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

As part of your HACCP review & validation for the new 2 piece can, you need to demonstrate that you have challenged the heat penetration results.

I know where your coming from about the differences in 2 and 3 piece cans; I have had a similar scenario myself , but can you validate it, do you have evidence that the heat penetration is the same for both cans?

Caz

Ratchet

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

At first blush as a Process Authority, I would say No. Upon further thought, I would consider the heating characteristics of the food product. If it is a conduction heating product, then no and I would stand behind it. But if I remember correctly, the two piece has a rounded bottom, whereas the 3 piece has a seam at the bottom. A convection heating product could differ in the heating curve because of the container difference. Also a broken heating curve versus a straight line would also be suspect.  In both cases, convection and broken heating, I would test it for confirmation. One may consider it more work, but I look at it as more information to build your peer confidence. A Process Authority must have peer confidence for acceptance.

javy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

thank you so much for your time in answering my question.

one more thing, if we gonna do the confirmation test. should we do it in all our products? e.g. chunks in oil, brine, flakes. or just a representation?

thank you again.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users