tery

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

Hi ,

We have a magnet as control point. We had BRC consultant did a GAP analysis and recommended magnet pull test at least by-annually. I am looking for procedure, recommendations how to perform such a test?

Thank you!

ton Martens

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Dear Tery,

To know if your magnetic system lost strength you can use a Gauss meter or a pull test kit.

Now, the difficulty is that you need to know the original strength of the magnet system. So how much Gauss was the magnet or how much kilo did it pull with the pull tester. then you can compare it annualy. mostly with a bigger difference the 15 or 20 percent is is advisable to change the magnet.

This procedure can be done by yourself, but to my opinion it's better to ask a magnet expert. They might be able to tell how strong the magnet should be and they can give you more advise about the magnets.

If you want to do the test yourself you'll need a gauss meter, which will cost you over €1500,-

Where are you from?

Regards,

Ton

Thanked by 1 Member:

Chris @ Safefood 360°

Associate - AIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 104 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Hi Tery,

A quick Google search can assist you when looking for a Magnet Pull Strength test kit.

The following link includes a quick overview video that might be of help to you: http://www.eriez.com...ts/PullTestKit/

One caveat to offer you - while performing magnet pull strength tests one year the money clip in my pocket got too close to one of the magnets I was testing. I stopped for gas on the way home only to find out that the all of my cards were now erased and no longer worked. :doh:

Thanks,

Chris

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

Dear tery,

And one more very brief internal link -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ors/#entry62629

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - if you try a little searching for, say, "magnet, gauss" there are a few threads here which discuss typical strengths in use.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

One caveat to offer you - while performing magnet pull strength tests one year the money clip in my pocket got too close to one of the magnets I was testing. I stopped for gas on the way home only to find out that the all of my cards were now erased and no longer worked. :doh:

Ouch that's a painful lesson.  Great point I'll have to remember that in case I ever do magnet pull testing because I always have my wallet on me (hey you never know when you'll need to evacuate).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Dear Tery,

we check our magnets annually using a gauss meter (simple version about 500 €). We perform that test by a relative method as already mentioned. Describe a method carefully for each type of magnet by fixing several points for performing the measurement (min 4 points). Best case is to start with a new magnet. For already installed magnets you have to create a "starting point". All measurements are done to demonstrate that magnets are unchanged in force over years. Rare earth magnets are very stable and will lose magnetic force only by shoc (mechanical or temperature). If e.g. a magnet would fall to the floor, test has to be repeated (documentation).

For me more critical than stability was the discussion with engineers whether the magnetic strength available on the surface is sufficient for the effect to be obtained especially in pumped fluids with viscosity (e.g. chocolate). Magnets are defined as CP.

We don't have magnets as CCP, i.e. chocolate passes always a sieve (in recirluation line magnet + sieve).

Rgds

moskito

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users