Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

I had 6 packages of the Freybe air dried smoke chorizo in my airplane luggage that was "lost in transition" at the airport for 10 days, as in at was likely at a room temperature of ~20C for 10 days, I love the product to no end and have brought it camping a number of times and left it for a number of days at room temperature and eaten it with no problems whatsoever, I just love it and want to know if I should attempt to eat any of my delicious sausage after 10 days at room temp cus I can't get it at home!!!! btw It looks fine, and smells fine, theres the littlest bit of moisture leaking out but shes pretty damn dry!!

TYVM for any opinions guy and gals!!!

chuckt

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

I had 6 packages of the Freybe air dried smoke chorizo in my airplane luggage that was "lost in transition" at the airport for 10 days, as in at was likely at a room temperature of ~20C for 10 days, I love the product to no end and have brought it camping a number of times and left it for a number of days at room temperature and eaten it with no problems whatsoever, I just love it and want to know if I should attempt to eat any of my delicious sausage after 10 days at room temp cus I can't get it at home!!!! btw It looks fine, and smells fine, theres the littlest bit of moisture leaking out but shes pretty damn dry!!

TYVM for any opinions guy and gals!!!

Sorry I didnt mention, Its all vac packed very well.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

Dear chuckt,

This must surely be the No.1 type of tale round ye old Camp Fire. Particularly by survivors. :smile:

Obviously the safe answer is to dump it (as suggested by yr nom-de-plume) since you (and we) don’t know where it’s been or possibly “modified”.

From a purely analytical POV, I'm not personally familiar with chorizo re. / preservatives / pH / Aw / typical shelf life / epidemiological history so a few basic points to dwell on  regarding the extent of yr potential Russian Roulette.

The IT quoted shelf lives seem to vary enormously depending on process, structure, storage and, maybe, luck.

The intuitive initial fear (particularly due to vacuum) is C.botulinum but maybe specifically inhibited by matrix.

Obvious query - What's on the label ? If no label return to 3rd paragraph.

I daresay there are a few (travelling?) chorizo lovers on this forum who will happily be more adventurously predictive  ?

Rgds / Charles.C

PS just as a random example  - 

Chorizo

Chorizo is a spicy pork sausage that comes in many forms. It can be fresh, cured or smoked. It can be seasoned with various chili powders, sweet paprika or smoked paprika. It is made in Spain, Portugal, France and Mexico and each country boasts many varieties of the much adored encased meat. Chorizo is usually reddish-brown in color, but a green chorizo made on the Iberian Peninsula makes use of tomatillos and green chilies. If you’re a chorizo novice, just look for small-production chorizos with packaging that reveals their country of origin.

• Judging freshness. If you spy mold, the chorizo has got to go. Depending on the variety (cured vs. fresh), chorizo’s shelf life can range from 1 to 6 weeks, so use common sense when picking out your sausage of choice.
  • Storing at home. Fresh chorizo should be wrapped tightly and can be refrigerated for up to a week. Cured and smoked chorizo will last this way for up to a month.

(my underlines :smile:  )

•  

http://www.cooktaste...edients/chorizo

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: still safe, bacteria, air dried, sausage, left at room temperature, safe, smoked sausage, edible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users