Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

Does anyone have suggestions on setting up the supplier of processing aids? We purchase a food grade silicone spray from a local industrial supply store, so they are not the manufacturer. I was able to get MSDS, product spec sheet, letter of guarantee and allergen statement. However, BRC requires supplier audits, third-party audits or certification, or supplier questionnaire.

What sort of audit requirements would you have for this type of supplier?

Thanks!

Ruhama

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Lesotho
    Lesotho
  • Interests:I love God, I like Food Safety and Quality, I like watching Tyler Perry's Movies. Auditing and customers visits interests me a lot.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

Does anyone have suggestions on setting up the supplier of processing aids? We purchase a food grade silicone spray from a local industrial supply store, so they are not the manufacturer. I was able to get MSDS, product spec sheet, letter of guarantee and allergen statement. However, BRC requires supplier audits, third-party audits or certification, or supplier questionnaire.

Thanks!

Hi

If this supplier is not a manufacturer is it a distributor? if is a distributor you have to know if its source is reliable. I also think every supplier you have should be certified in ISO standards like ISO 9001. 

Regards

Ruhama Thooko

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Highlands Trout (Pty) Ltd

Jehova Jire

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

Thanks!

Dear WowQC,

Do you have a specific justification for your expectations ?

I think you "overestimate" the standard.

For example, see para.3.5.1.3.?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

WowQC

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

We had a pre-audit assessment (34 minors) and the auditor says that, per 3.5.1.2, a supplier audit, third party audit or certification, or supplier questionnaire is required for suppliers in the approved supplier program.

I guess we can look at exceptions for cases like these, as per 3.5.1.3. As long as it's written down! (As per auditor, if it's not written, it didn't happen.)

Thanks.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

Hi WowQC,

As per the post by Charles, you could regard as an exception and state you have 'sufficient documentation' to deem the supplier approved based on risk.

Also/alternatively you could contact the manufacturer direct and get details of any certification they have. If they are supplying 'food grade' silicone spray then they should have a relevant certification.

As a side point it is also useful to actually inspect the spray can itself. I say this because a few years ago I came across a problem with a spray lubricant which had a white nozzle that detached quite easily and would not be easily seen in the product (milk). It was quite a serious foreign body hazard. We contacted the supplier and the nozzle was changed to a 'big red version' which although still detached was easily spotted.

Regards,

Tony

Cravin' Cajun?

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Safety, HACCP, BRC, Spices

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

First I would suggest you evaluate your suppliers to determine what "tier" they are in...tier 1 suppliers would be suppliers of products/materials that have direct product contact, tier 2 for items that may have product contact, and tier 3 for items that have no chance of product contact. 

Once you determine the correct "tier" for your suppliers, it then becomes easy for you to know which suppliers you may need to audit and which ones you can just get a letter of guarantee from.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supplier Approval, BRC, Processing Aids

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users