• 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

How many people are on your HACCP team?

Which disciplines are they from?

How many of those verify the Process Flow Diagram?

answers on a postcard.........

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Mercedes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Hi,

I am from the bakery sector.

The HACCP team should be composed by a  multi-disciplinary food safety team which includes those responsible for quality/technical, production operations, engineering and other relevant functions.

We are 9 in my team: production and packing supervisors and manager, quality manager, maintenance manager and manager director.

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

and do all of those people verify the flow diagram???

Chris @ Safefood 360°

Associate - AIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 104 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

Hi trubertq, 

BRC:

2.6 "Verify Flow Diagram - Codex Alimentarius Step 5" 

2.6.1 The HACCP food safety team shall verify the accuracy of the flow diagrams by on-site audit and challenge at least annually. Daily and seasonal variations shall be considered and evaluated. Records of verification of flow diagrams shall be maintained. 

See also: http://www.fao.org/d...9e/y1579e03.htm  

Guidelines for the Application of the HACCP System: 

5. On-site confirmation of flow diagram

The HACCP team should confirm the processing operation against the flow diagram during all stages and hours of operation and amend the flow diagram where appropriate.

One of the benefits to having your entire cross-functional HACCP team verify your flow diagram is the ability to have more eyes looking at the entire process flow. The more eyes verifying your flow, the less likely you will be to inadvertently omit something. 

-Chris 

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:59 AM

This seems a very strange question to me.

I have never considered that the flow-diagram, could haven been not done by the whole HACCP team. Again it shows that I am a very naive auditor.

Can you tell us who is in your HACCP team?

And why is it difficulty to let them all together verify the flow diagram?

How about other verification actions that normally are the responsibility of the HACCP-team?

Do you have pointed these to a dedicated HACCP-team member?

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

I am asking the questions purely from the point of view of an external technical support. It's something that came up last week in a discussion and I wanted to clarify it in my own mind.

Thank you for your responses 

Mercedes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

If the process has not been changed, we only verify the flow chart once a year. You can do that as part of your HACCP review for example. The HACCP team must be present at that time, therefore,you could take this as an opportunity.

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

My suggestion is attach a copy with the agenda for the annual review (having put it as an agenda item), ask everyone to review it and identify any changes/additions that need discussing at the review and then minute it after the meeting.
'Process flow diagram has been reviewed by all the HACCP team members and the following revisions have taken place ......................'

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

I suppose what I am really trying to get at is ...do all members of the HACCP team sign the flow diagram?

The Flow diagram is reviewed annually ( unless something changes obviously) but if you have 9 people on your HACCP Team do all of them sign the flow diagram to verify it's veracity?

Do you all go out and walk the lines to make sure that the diagram is accurate? 

As I say, I am just curious to see what people  do in general.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

I don't see why it would be necessary to go out as a group to verify this.  As was mentioned above, attach the flow chart to the agenda, asking for responses would work, or just bring copies to the meeting.

We have a meeting annually (provided there have been no changes to our process) to discuss issues, customer complaints, etc.  We are cross functional, maintenance, QA, production, managers. We do not sign off on the flow diagram, but we do sign attendance at the HACCP meeting.

Setanta

Edited by Setanta, 19 February 2014 - 12:59 PM.

-Setanta         

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

I suppose what I am really trying to get at is ...do all members of the HACCP team sign the flow diagram?

signing of the flow diagram is one way t oshow that the HACCP team has verified the flow diagram, but there are many other ways to document this verification.

E.g. as a part of your annual review/ HACCP-verification as is mentioned before or on separate meeting munutes or by keeping copies of the flow diagram with notes and remarks of all members or ... I am sure we can think of more ways to demonstrate verification.

And yes, all the members of the HACCP-team should be involved in the verification of the HACCP verification. You do not have a multidisciplinary team to let 1 person do all the work.

Walking the lines is a very good way of verifying the correctness of your flow diagram.

I would not walk the lines with 9 persons at the same time. Each one can do it on his own and if there are deviations these can be discussed and when needed the team can check it all together.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users