• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hi all,

We are currently reviewing the design of workwear within our High care and High Risk departments with a view to perhaps incorporating a hood within the coat itself. Currently we use single-use hairnets which we would like to move away from due to recycling issues, but are struggling to come up with a solution. We have identified that some sort of hair coverage needs to be employed before an outer coat can be put on.

Any comments or ideas for appropriate headwear/workwear would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

J Young

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

Don't over think the recycling issue and put food safety at risk. Very difficult to justify a move away from hairnets and a lots of risk assessments to justify.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scullerdude

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

Sorry my post was not very clear we were hoping to move away from the single-use aspect rather than hairnets specifically. We were wondering whether a form of re-useable balaclava would be an option but have no experience of these or their comfort for operators etc.

We are just taking the opportunity to review our workwear and are open to any new ideas or suggestions as long as it reduces any foreign body risks we currently have.

Thanks again

Teecem

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

I have used the balaclava type hairnets the biggest problem with them is that the staff don't put them in the wash and wear the same one for weeks at a time!! Until they are practically falling off their faces or you tell them to change them. The closed ones for beard coverage can also be a bit tight the hole for the eyes is uncomfortable if you wear glasses and this is the part that tends to get ripped leading to loose threads. I always found the most irritating thing about them was people pulling them down so they sit below their chins, you can buy open face ones (which are only suitable for the beardless) which are more comfortable but the washing issue will still be a problem. Overall they will last for between 6 and10 washes (if they are washed!) so they are usually more cost effective. The best things that I have seen are integrated hoods in the tops which covers all of the persons own clothes and head, if you don't have any hair complaints I think you can argue the case for not putting on hairnets first.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hairnets, workwear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users