• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

Hello,

I'm an intern trying to implement HACCP in an industry that produces carton made packages for food.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find the biological and chemical hazards probably associated with cartons, and whether there are or not any regulation concerning this subject.

Thank you.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

Just so I understand, your company makes the cartons?

-Setanta         

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 441 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

Hi, curious-science;

Consider also physical hazards with biological and chemical in a hazard analysis.

I'm not in the packaging industry, but here are a few documents I have squirreled away that you may find helpful;

Food contact substances (FCS) per FDA.

Attached File  HACCP Folding Carton Model-May6_2010.pdf   437.02KB   266 downloadsAttached File  ApprovedFoodContactProducts_22apr10.pdf   174.54KB   242 downloads

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Thanked by 3 Members:

Charice

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:02 AM

Hi, curious-science,

Till now, in my country doesn't have standard for food carton packaging also. So we have just base on Raw material input and our processing to identify risk/ (biological, chemistry and physical).

Normal, with carton packaging, we usually have kind of risk like as:

* Chemistry was used in producing product.

* Pesticide, heavy metal and physical was contaminated from raw material/ or working environment.

As SLAP's HACCP plan above, they have identified CCPs base on raw material and processing as well.

Thanks,

Charice

Thanked by 1 Member:

curious-scientist

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your help.

Setanta, the company actually gets the cartons as raw material and makes them into boxes; from printing, to lamination, die cutting, and gluing.

So basically I was wondering if anyone has knowledge in microbiology and can help me find the bacteria and moisture that can live on cartons knowing its a dry material and whether their spores can be considered as biological hazards when the package comes in contact with food so that water and nutrients are then available.

Thank you.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your help.

Setanta, the company actually gets the cartons as raw material and makes them into boxes; from printing, to lamination, die cutting, and gluing.

So basically I was wondering if anyone has knowledge in microbiology and can help me find the bacteria and moisture that can live on cartons knowing its a dry material and whether their spores can be considered as biological hazards when the package comes in contact with food so that water and nutrients are then available.

Thank you.

Dear curious scientist,

Indeed there are several threads on this topic here (somewhere) although the available published works are not very  extensive AFAIK. I guess this lack partly reflects the production processes involved and usage experiences, ie relatively few problems encountered.

Maybe try a little searching, eg "micro packaging". The standards which exist are mostly fairly rudimentary compared to food, as might be anticipated. Typically for APC, coliforms and the like with, from memory, no references to spores.

Rgds / Charles,C

PS - added - can try this thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...indpost&p=68711

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charice

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

Dear curious-scientist,

As you said, Setana is the company get cartons as raw material. So you should to consider that cartons was made by recycle papers or original powder paper?

* Micor: If it made from recycle papers, you should to identify and control micro risk: TPC, E.Coli, Salmonella, Coliform and some others ill bacteria.

* Moisture: Almost bacteria can grow up in Aw > 0,7% (Aw is freedom water inside cartons or food like stuff). But carton don't rich nutrient for bacteria fast grow up. So that, good condition for bacteria grow up at moisture max 5%.

Regards,

Charicevu

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users