• Quick Navigation
Photo

Ideas on how to conduct a root cause analysis for NC's?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

DEAREST

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

Hi all,

Please give ideas on how to conduct  a root cause analysis for the following NCs raised during an FSSC audit.

1. Refiner operators were observed to be wearing overalls with buttons and pockets above the waist.

2. 1 out of 14 members screened had not been medically examined.

3. It was not demonstrable that the procedure for withdrawal had been tested to ensure effectiveness of the management system.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hi all,

Please give ideas on how to conduct  a root cause analysis for the following NCs raised during an FSSC audit.

By reference to FS system standard hygiene requirements (1,2) / FS system standard operational requirements(3)

1. Refiner operators were observed to be wearing overalls with buttons and pockets above the waist.

Lack of understanding of  hygienic requirements, ie undesirability of contamination hazard due foreign objects in the production area

(or possibly lack of implementation of  hygiene requirements depending on the situation)(or possibly both)

2. 1 out of 14 members screened had not been medically examined.

Same as 1, with "foreign objects" replaced by "workers with unacceptable health condition".

3. It was not demonstrable that the procedure for withdrawal had been tested to ensure effectiveness of the management system.

Lack of understanding of  validation/ verification procedural requirements, ie need for supporting data. (or possibly lack of implementation, again)

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - Personally, I would have intuitively put 2 as more significant than 1 but I daresay yr auditor did not prioritize. Or maybe you are a supplier to NASA.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

Two of the simple tools to do root cause analysis are 4M (Man, Machine, Material, Method) based fish bone diagram and 5-Why. But how to start analysis is the most interesting aspect. Following are some steps which you may take.

1- Call a meeting of your HACCP or Food safety team. The members must include authoritative persons from Production, HR/Administration, Sales and QA.

2- Present to them in the meeting all the findings one-by-one and ask (brainstorm) or investigate (5-Why) about the possible causes.

3- With mutual consent, select the root cause or root causes of each problem and discuss its countermeasure.

4- Get approval of the countermeasure before implementation if necessary.

5- Validate the countermeasure. If results are OK then your analysis is proved as correct.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

Dear Dearest,

Here is the encyclopedical response -

http://en.wikipedia...._cause_analysis

i prefer simple logic as far as possible. But yr auditor may approve some increased dispersion of the blame. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

DEAREST

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thanks a lot for your input. I'll now be able to close the NCs raised.

DEAREST

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - Personally, I would have intuitively put 2 as more significant than 1 but I daresay yr auditor did not prioritize. Or maybe you are a supplier to NASA.

The member who was not screened is the Manager and is rarely in the factory.

Mujeeb Mustafa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

Don't forget to follow your written Corrective & Preventive Action Procedure while performing Root Cause Analysis.

Philips

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Reading, sharing with other professionals,driving and a humble drinker

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

This forum is so interesting, we learn alot form it..., Root cause analysis; this is how  I train. Any given nonconformity has three main response segments; i) Root cause, ii) correction and iii) corrective actions

Once a nonconformity is raised, 1st establish the root cause, what is the most probable reason that made this to happen, e.g. 1 out of 14 sampled didn't have a medical exam report - Lack of a proper system in monitoring the processes in meeting the intended results

Correction; Immediately have the 1 person be medically examined and attach the results to NC for objective evidence

Corrective action - Always the corrective action should address the root cause - Since there was no proper system in monitoring the processes in meeting intended results, establish one, i.e. You can say, you will on monthly basis audit the medical exams records for employees since the expiry period may not be the same, OR you apply Microsoft outlook to provide alerts whenever a given individual period lapses, its one of the most effective method since its scheduled and alert one automatically you switch on the computer, guess this is good enough

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users