Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:34 AM

China bans cheese imports from Britain

It is almost laughable given the food safety issues China has had.

'Chinese officials, visiting plants in Europe ahead of the country’s new food safety law coming into force on May 1, reportedly complained about maintenance, raw milk transport temperatures, chemical storage and air sanitisation, insisting that all UK dairies exporting cheese to China must now pass council inspections before the restriction is lifted.

However, it has emerged that the unnamed dairy visited does not even supply cheese to the country'. :oops2:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

Perhaps they forgot to add melamine to it!

This from a nation who wear surgical face masks, regardless of where they are! :roflmao:

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Dear All,

Despite the potential pot calling the kettle syndrome, it seemed to me to be of some interest as to what the specific complaint actually was, ie its validity (or otherwise).

From BBC website, a slightly more detailed version -

As part of their audit in Europe, Chinese officials found problems at one British dairy and are now working with the UK's Food Standards Agency (FSA).

The FSA is set to carry out its own compliance checks, with the temporary suspension is expected to be lifted once the issue has been resolved.

Patty Clayton, senior analyst at industry research body Dairy Co, said: "In the UK, we have a very good record for food safety and I don't think this particular temporary ban should worry anybody locally, as there are just some minor details that need to be sorted out."

Mrs Clayton said the UK's international reputation was unlikely to be put at risk and that the issue was likely to be dealt with "relatively quickly".

She added that China had placed a high priority on food safety in the wake of the 2008 melamine crisis, in which six children died from drinking tainted milk.

As usual raw data is (so far) lacking.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

Britain currently exports 11.5 tonnes of cheese to China each year.

:cheezy:

The value of this based on UK Wholesale prices is £41,975.00 :silly:

By November 2008, China reported an estimated 300,000 victims, with six infants dying from kidney stones and other kidney damage, and an estimated 54,000 babies being hospitalised. The chemical appeared to have been added to milk to cause it to appear to have a higher protein content. In a separate incident four years before, watered-down milk had resulted in 13 infant deaths from malnutrition. The World Health Organization referred to the incident as one of the largest food safety events it had had to deal with in recent years, and that the crisis of confidence among Chinese consumers would be hard to overcome.

Chinese officials, reportedly complained about maintenance, raw milk transport temperatures, chemical storage and air sanitisation, Transport temperatures possibly but what the hell!

Unfortunately too many things we see are media, propaganda and politics or sex lies and videotape

What do you think?

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:30 AM

Ha!  :lol2:

She added that China had placed a high priority on food safety in the wake of the 2008 melamine crisis, in which six children died from drinking tainted milk.

Rgds / Charles.C

I started to feel bad for laughing, but then I remembered the seemingly unanimous dislike of children ( :off_topic: One time an employee asked me about my status, and I said I was single + required "I don't get my honey where I get my money/fishing off the pier/dipping the pen in company ink" line, and he said "The last QA was single, too."  QA, it's a lonely lifestyle.  ), then I didn't feel so bad anymore.  Then I felt terrible.  But not as terrible as I should.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

This from a nation who wear surgical face masks, regardless of where they are! :roflmao:

No we don't do that in the UK.

They did bring us Chicken Chow Mein which is one of my favourite Foods!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

Dharmadi Sadeli Putra

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 161 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:20 AM

I guess cheese made locally in mongolia provinces is more tasty (made from camel milk) :lol2:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

I'm not sure why they'd want Stilton or Caerphilly, its not really indigenous to their diet is it?

In 2012 there were 1.351 billion people in China eating 11.5 T of cheese! says it all really!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

It is probably for 'ex-pats' living/working in China

debaduttajayaprakash

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Hmm , some serious discussion !!