Supply Chain Food Safety

Grade - Active

• 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

Does anyone have an GFSI implementation schedule that they could share?  I'm trying to put together a presentation any I need a visual/time line for implementation.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

That's a hard one to pin down.

You will have to take into consideration where YOUR facility is currently. If your workers don't wear hairnets in production, you just step away from the line to have a cigarette, if there is candy and food on the production floor, it is going to take you a lot longer than if you have some Prerequisite Programs in place, have implemented GMPs and already work with USDA/FDA or similar agency.

Tell us about your situation: What do you make, what progams do you have in place?

Kind Regards,
Setanta

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

Supply Chain Food Safety

Grade - Active

• 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

That's a hard one to pin down.

You will have to take into consideration where YOUR facility is currently. If your workers don't wear hairnets in production, you just step away from the line to have a cigarette, if there is candy and food on the production floor, it is going to take you a lot longer than if you have some Prerequisite Programs in place, have implemented GMPs and already work with USDA/FDA or similar agency.

Tell us about your situation: What do you make, what progams do you have in place?

Kind Regards,
Setanta

Its "up to speed" from a food safety perspective.  It is capable of being certified...from my previous experience with SQF and BRC I can tell that we have the structure for a GFSI certiication but no certification.  We dont even have to get one but my goal is to make the food safety/quality of the facility more robust.

This isn't even a manufacturing facility its distribution...Any template would work for implementation I just need ideas/starting point.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

Still, it isn't always a linear process. If you are fairly prepared, have all the Pre-Req programs, good GMPs, thorough documentation, maybe 6-8 months. Be prepared for something, some aspect that will throw you for a loop.

Every plant or DC is different, so your mileage may vary.

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

neilmilvain

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

You can't implement the GFSI.  Its just a guidance document by which the GFSI measure the standards that apply for recognition.  What you can implement is a GFSI recognised standard such as BRC, SQF etc.

If the structure is in place why not go for certification to ISO22000?  Its not GFSI but will formally recognise the FSMS is in place an established.

Neil Milvain
SGS Systems & Services Certification
Global Product Manager - Packaging

BRC/IoP Auditor and ATP

Supply Chain Food Safety

Grade - Active

• 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

Maybe I wasn't too clear...I don't need any guidance on implementation of GFSI schemes. I'm well aware of what GFSI is and the codes that fall under the GFSI standard. I just wanted to see an illustration on how people put a plan together to move forward achieving certification. Thanks

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Having taken a number of  facilities through the certification process, the plan has been unique to each facility.  After a through audit, I know what the facility needs and where it is good.  So the timeline and plan is very dependent on what each facility needs and the training level of the people involved.  Even well prepared facilities can take up to a year to prepare for certification. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

So the real answer to setting up a GFSI benchmark scheme in a particular site is.... "it depends" on many, many things...

Company Culture

Senior Management reasons for acceptance and their ability to provide antiquate resources to drive it.

How "adequate" their food safety management system is.

Stakeholder buy-in.

What food category(ies).

How many suppliers and vulnerability assessment.

Trade industry support.

That is just off the top of my head... I am sure there are many, many more.

-B

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

Gap Analysis - if needed to check current programs against the standard you have chosen (3 days)

Management Training - if needed to educate them on the extent of what is required (depends on availability of managers)

Team Training - if needed (HACCP, Food Safety, Management - Business Continuity, etc.)

Document Creation & Implementation - depends on what current programs you have in place (6 months to a year)

Internal Audits (2-3 months before your first audit for SQF)

Correction Actions (the more nonconformances, the more time it will take to correct and establish new policies and procedures

The timeline also depends on how much time people can make available.  One person can drive the program, but it takes a lot of people to do the work.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users