• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Czech Republic
    Czech Republic

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hi everyone,

first of all I would like to say, I´m realy happy that I found this forum, with all your advice, I try to prepare our company for AIB audit and sometimes I´m totally lost... :hypocrite:

Well, we are a food distribution center (milk products) and we don´t manipulate open product.

My question goes to chapter 3, point 3.2.1.2 - "Sanitizer concentrations are tested to make sure they are consistent with the product label"  and with a connected point 3.2.1.5 "The facility follows verification procedures and maintains records of chemical concentration testing, retesting, and Corrective Actions" (requirements of AIB Standards for Food Distribution centers).

Do we realy have to do it, even if we don´t manipulate open product?

Thank you,

frkotik :spoton:

mapry2

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 92 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

If you are cleaning and sanitizing in your distribution center, then you have to do this.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

First of all welcome! :welcome:

Even if your not doing any processing, you still have food in the building.  Knowing the concentration would mean that you are using right strength of chemical for your application.  Too much chemical can be dangerous and too little won't effective.

Edited by Snookie, 28 May 2014 - 08:17 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Quality Ben

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality, Laboratory, Technical Issues, Water Activity and Migration, VITAL, Allergens, Fresh Produce, Post Harvest, Cold Smoked Fish, Non Pasteurised Caviar, Cook/Chill, Listeria Hunting & Eradication/Environmental monitoring programs, Small-Goods, HACCP, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving, Risk Mitigation, Listeria.spp., High Risk, Chemistry, Cleaning and Sanitation, Biosecurity, Consultancy, Training, Process Control

Food Safety = Science + Culture

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:27 PM

Yes you should be doing this anyway....just set up a basic strip test schedule perhaps?

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

Dear frkotik,

I haven't read the detailed standard but "sanitizer concentration / product label" seems ambiguous. Whose product label ? Again, I wouln't even know offhand how to measure some of my actual component concentations  without a textbook, eg percent hypochlorite. On the other hand if it means "active sanitizer", eg ppm free chlorine, that's a different story. :smile:  And easy as per previous post.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - Welcome to the forum! :welcome:  Nice to see a  (rare) visitor from yr area.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

AVAaeiou

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

yes, you must have to do this.. all of the food company is mandatory to do cleaning and since you are involve of it you can do verification whether you are doing it accordingly and you are meeting the set standads :spoton:

frkotik

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Czech Republic
    Czech Republic

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

Thank you everybody for welcoming me here and for your response. I'll do it as you recommanded.

frkotik

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

Don't worry, it's really easy.  The person who sold you the chemicals should have an easy test kit, strips or titration.  Test before you clean & document on a log and you're good to go

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

AVAaeiou

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

yup.. agreed on you magenta... most of the chemical suppliers now a days have their test kits in which you are used for verification. :sleazy:

frkotik

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Czech Republic
    Czech Republic

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

Thanks guys, that's great idea! I´ll try to ask them.

AVAaeiou

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

you can also request to your chemical supplier if they can conduct trainings for you and for your staff who is using.   So that they are also aware of the right concentration / diution of the chemicals. Then you can verify the effectiveness of it once you already have the idea on the chemicals.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

Many companies will even provide the test kits or equipment free. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Taste Maker

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum, we have always used the pH taken with indicator strips to satisfy the AIB requirement. The sanitizer is considered to be verified when diluted properly with water and the pH is within manufacturer's specs. You may validate the sanitizer by doing micro on the facilities processing/packaging areas. Remember, you must first clean according to a Master Cleaning Schedule then, once you have properly cleaned a surface you may now sanitize the contact area. So, it would appear that you are in a low risk facility that has foreign material and allergen (milk) as the greatest hazards. Now, focus on storage and transportation of allergen containing product and any foreign material that might be inherent to your process. Do a flow diagram of each specific line of product from unloading the product on the dock to the end consumer and do a hazard assessment. Next, define control points and critical control points (CCPs). Now, establish control limits at each of the CCPs that you can live with and still be within REGULATORY limits because the purpose on monitoring is to tell if a process is STARTING to go out of control and corrective action taken to bring back in control. Finally, based on the risk, define who, what, when and how to monitor the CCP. For example, If foreign material is a risk to the process you would want to use a metal detector or x-ray to MONITOR this process at the end of the line and before going to the end consumer. Last but not least, be sure to show any allergens or special requirements such as cooking or temps on the LABEL. The label is the LAST chance to protect the end user. Good luck and try to attend a GMP conference near to you.

Taste Maker

Memphis, TN

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:47 AM

Dear Taste Maker,

Thks yr input. I think the acronym "HACCP" might have been usefully mentioned as well. :smile:

Can you inform what type of actual sanitizer you are referring to, eg hypochlorite, quat whatever ? and what chemical entity you are measuring to monitor the concentation.

pH on its own seems useful but somewhat irrelevant ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Taste Maker

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

Charles,

Good afternoon, to reiterate, I would test the sanitizer after diluting (if concentrated) or the pre-diluted if it comes ready-to-use with pH test strips. We use a four tier quaternary sanitizer in my plant. Also, take the pH of the mains water in to consideration and if need be use distilled water or pH adjusted water depending on your specific area. Again, validate any sanitization with regular micro analysis. Yes, I have the seven HACCP principles tattooed on my right arm....just kidding.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

Charles,

Good afternoon, to reiterate, I would test the sanitizer after diluting (if concentrated) or the pre-diluted if it comes ready-to-use with pH test strips. We use a four tier quaternary sanitizer in my plant. Also, take the pH of the mains water in to consideration and if need be use distilled water or pH adjusted water depending on your specific area. Again, validate any sanitization with regular micro analysis. Yes, I have the seven HACCP principles tattooed on my right arm....just kidding.

Dear Taste Maker,

Something like this seems more logical -

http://www.coleparme..._10/EW-59200-50

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sujit

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral