• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

I'm revving up for our AIB audit! Hooray, we will have an audit cert, even if it isn't GFSI (soon enough, SQF lvl 3, soon enough).

For section 1.13, bulk material sifting, I would like to consider this as an N/A category, becuase we do not receive bulk materials.

Our dry ingredients come in 50-75 lb bags,which is the biggest amount of ingredient in one package. However, we will get a pallet of bags at a time. These bags are "Bulk" to us. 

I realize this section is meant to control bulk ingredients delivered in tankers / with much larger volumes, but sifting powders before use seems like a good practice in general. 

Has anyone had to argue against their material being listed as bulk?  Should I relax and never think about bulk again, or get that Sweco runnin?

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

Magenta,

Do you get a CoA for this product? Is it sifted by the company you order it from? 50lb bags should not count as bulk. We get 40lb boxes in by the pallet and as long as you have a Certificate of Analysis, I should think you'd be OK.

S

-Setanta         

Pizza&Sandwich

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

Hi,

I'm revving up for our AIB audit! Hooray, we will have an audit cert, even if it isn't GFSI (soon enough, SQF lvl 3, soon enough).

For section 1.13, bulk material sifting, I would like to consider this as an N/A category, becuase we do not receive bulk materials.

Our dry ingredients come in 50-75 lb bags,which is the biggest amount of ingredient in one package. However, we will get a pallet of bags at a time. These bags are "Bulk" to us. 

I realize this section is meant to control bulk ingredients delivered in tankers / with much larger volumes, but sifting powders before use seems like a good practice in general. 

Has anyone had to argue against their material being listed as bulk?  Should I relax and never think about bulk again, or get that Sweco runnin?

Yes, bulk is typically referred to as product that comes in tankers.

We get flour by the tanker into our silo, then have a sieve prior to loading into our mixer. We had to have documentation as to the size of mesh on this sieve. We also had letters from our suppliers of salt and sugar stating that they are sieved or otherwise checked for foreign materials prior to packaging/shipping.

If you're sifting your powders before use, you wouldn't need documentation because you're in control. However, if you don't typically sift check with your suppliers to see what steps they have taken to ensure a safe product for you to use.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

Thanks, I knew it should get sifted somewherez and I knew it wasn't bulk - I'll check with our suppliers to see if I can get a statemnet from them.

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

With our powders (anywhere from 10lb to 2500lb totes) we require sifting statements from all our powder vendors.  This has always satisfied AIB certification.  We also receive 3 liquid ingredients in bulk tankers ,but those are handled differently, with requirements on our end as far as filtration, etc.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

Thanks, I knew it should get sifted somewherez and I knew it wasn't bulk - I'll check with our suppliers to see if I can get a statemnet from them.

By all means get statements from suppliers to satisfy AIB but if you don't sift or filter already consider it as the debagging process is usually a great way to get FB's into product.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

You're right, they're already dumping it.  Why not throw a strainer in there? This makes sense

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users