• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:57 PM

Need some Help guys,

We are a small operation and core supplier that manufactures beef patties for a fast food burger chain, Our customer has advised us that in addition to the two 2-day customer audits that we currently undergo a year to comply with the customers standards we also need to have GFSI certifcation by the end of this year in order to maintain status as an approved supplier.

Can someone assist in deciding which GFSI audit standard would cause us the least disruption and additional costs in order to achieve GFSI certification. 

I was looking into the global red meat standard but have been advised that there is no-one in the pacific region that can certify to the standard.

Appreciate any advice received.

SpursGirl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 83 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Your best options would be either SQF or BRC as these are the most widely used standards and I am sure there will be qualified auditors in your region.

I am assuming that the fact that you already undergo a 2 day audit with the customer means you have a documented and implemented quality management system in place so the work involved in gaining GFSI certification would be a case of aligning your current systems to a standard.

I suggest you look at both SQF and BRC standards (you can download the SQF standard from the website) and choose whichever standard falls closest to your current systems.

Then perform a gap analysis against the chosen standard and work through your action plan.

Unfortunately I suspect there will be costs involved with whichever standard you go with (audit costs are not small change) but if you have good systems in place already you should find that you have already done most of the hard work.

Personally I have worked with both BRC and SQF and both have their strengths and weaknesses - it really will be down to which standard fits best with you.

Good luck - and dont forget to use the members here to help you out when you have questions - the advise is invaluable.

S

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

SQF now has unannounced audits... and while there is a possibility that they all will move that way so far not all of them have.

As much as I don't like FSSC right now they don't have any requirement for unannounced audits that can make one out of a 3 year cycle a nightmare...  Of course a good system should be able to be audited anytime... but still.

I do like SQF a lot but some people are really anti-unannounced audit that can be hard for smaller operations.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

debaduttajayaprakash

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

I have worked with all GFSI standards and prefer BRC for the small firm. You can buy a BRC Global  standard for food safety V-6 book and also the interpretation guide if you are new to the standard as they are quite good to understand step by step requirements.   Announced or  unannounced both of the audits have got it own merit and demerit. If you are small firm with limited human resource I will believe Unannounced audit will be kind of nightmare as to keep all the documents for high risk product category it will be very difficult and unnecessary business for any individual day to day task as we all need some peace of mind at work. 

As a new site go for announced one first and then evaluate if you can cope up with un announced audit.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

While all of the food safety systems at their core share many similarities, they each have their own quirks.  I personally like SQF and while have not yet experienced the unannounced audit, there is a window for it, so it is not a complete surprise. 

All good advice above....now all you have to do is.....choose. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

Need some Help guys,

We are a small operation and core supplier that manufactures beef patties for a fast food burger chain, Our customer has advised us that in addition to the two 2-day customer audits that we currently undergo a year to comply with the customers standards we also need to have GFSI certifcation by the end of this year in order to maintain status as an approved supplier.

Can someone assist in deciding which GFSI audit standard would cause us the least disruption and additional costs in order to achieve GFSI certification. 

I was looking into the global red meat standard but have been advised that there is no-one in the pacific region that can certify to the standard.

Appreciate any advice received.

As you are a core supplier I would ask your customer if they have any preferences.

Regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

Dear All,

And just to" flog a dead horse", "GFSI certification" does not exist so presumably neither does a GFSI audit / GFSI audit standard.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

Dear All,

And just to" flog a dead horse", "GFSI certification" does not exist so presumably neither does a GFSI audit / GFSI audit standard.

Rgds / Charles.C

:smarty:

Hi Charles,

Have you got your pedantic head on today?

GFSI Certification - Certification to one of the GFSI recognised food safety management schemes

GFSI Audit Standard - GFSI recognised food safety management schemes

GFSI Standards - GFSI recognised food safety management schemes

GFSI Standard - GFSI Guidance Document

All more of a mouthful/word full  :sleazy: 

Regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:59 AM

Hi Tony,

Yeah, I guess it's no worse than being certified to HACCP Standard (Cum Laude) :smile:

Charles

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users