• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Afghanistan
    Afghanistan

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

Hello,

I have a questions concerning the control of metal nails . We use it on the production to pack our products - when we put the product on the pallet, we stablise the product with some nails up. We have a remark from our customer that we should control the nails. How can I do that ? I can not count it , the quantities are big and it differ from one product to other.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Paulina

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

ok... We are going to need some information but first:  :welcome: to IFSQN!

What product do you make and how are you packaging it that you have to use nails?  Is there another way that you can stabilize the product without raising the nails on the pallet?

Let's start there and progress as we get answers.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

odlo78

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Afghanistan
    Afghanistan

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thank you for your welcome !

The products : big rolls of foil (100-200kg) , we put on each side wooden boards nailed up to the pallet to stabilize the roll. We also use belts and stretch but it is not sufficient without boards and  nails.

At the moment I espacially need help how to control the nails - what response give to the customer.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

What is the foil used for? Is it food contact packaging?  I can't imagine that it would matter if it isn't food contact packaging.

-Setanta         

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

Odlo I'm thinking about the best way to address this situation.  I'm fairly new to food safety, compared to some of the other people on here, so while I'm thinking about this it's possible another person will answer.  It may take me a little time to think on this.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

By boards do you mean corner boards? 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

odlo78

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Afghanistan
    Afghanistan

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

Foil is mainly for food packaging (often just for external packaging of bottles ). Boards are not corner boards as there ar no corner on the roll, boards are fixed to the pallet with nails once the roll is posed on the pallet . Fixed boards stabilize the roll.  

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 441 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Hi, odlo78;

If I was your customer I would firstly ask for a nail map similar to a TI-HI diagram (or inclusive with).   Secondly I would ask that you implement a secondary barrier to assist in proper containment, such as anti-slip paper or corrugated boxing. Perhaps reconsider your packaging technique? If the foil is not manufactured into the finished product  then foreign body is not so much a concern as is an introduction of pathogenic bacteria to a primary contact onto the finished goods.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

odlo78

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Afghanistan
    Afghanistan

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

Customer does not afraid about bacteria (product is protected), but about the risk to find the nail inside the product. He expects actions similiar to glass or knife policy. But in this case we are not able to count each nail, check if the quantity is ok. I put this item in the risk analysis and for me the risk that the knife is inside the roll of foil (between layers) and that  it comes to the finished product in customer facility is not big enough to take such actions. Maybe I'm wrong , I hope you have better solution - more than just risk analysis, but not such difficult as 'nail policy'.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

By boards do you mean corner boards? 

We get large pallets of foil in rolls - they are stable without nails and packaged with only strech wrap, corner boards, and pallet straps, 5/6 rolls high, with another cardboard slip sheet on the top.  The second manufacturer sends out foil the same way,  rows high, with two strips of that black pallet strap material wrapped vertically around the pallet (instead of the usual one horizontal strip I see on other pallets)

Have you already tried vertical pallet straps & corner boards and found them to be failing? It shouldn't matter that the foil is round, the barrier you're creating is the same as the edge of the pallet

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

odlo78

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Afghanistan
    Afghanistan

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

Hi,

For some of our rolls weight is more than 600kg each, so why the solution with nails were chosen. Couls you please send me a picture of the way you receive the pallet with foil ? It is difficult to me to imagine your description.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

kitleen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Hi, My side did encounter such problem. It was our supplier's pallet nails jutting into the packaging and damaging it. we only new about this once we reach the bottom reel of the packaging paper. After complaining to our supplier, and insisted to have a corrective action and they informed that will implement a 100% inspection for every incoming pallet before usage. All pallet subjected to the inspection will have a marking across the nail hole.

odlo78

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Afghanistan
    Afghanistan

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

thank you Magenta for your pictures.

Unfortunately our rolls are much biggest and we have to avoid the risk of slip down. This is also some customers requirement to do it in this way (to cut transport cost) but some others are not happy with the presence of nails while packaging.

Please see the picture.

Album:
images
comments

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

thank you Magenta for your pictures.

Unfortunately our rolls are much biggest and we have to avoid the risk of slip down. This is also some customers requirement to do it in this way (to cut transport cost) but some others are not happy with the presence of nails while packaging.

Please see the picture.

:silly: Do you make chocolate bars for giants?

Those are much bigger!  Sorry, that's way out of my league

Sounds like kit's been on the other end and an inspection worked for him/her.   

Edited by magenta_majors, 17 June 2014 - 11:33 AM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users