Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Woolworths have issued a product recall after an Adelaide mother found a metal blade inside a baby food product.

Baby Macro Organic Tomato Chicken with Pasta Puree - 2cm Blade found:

Attached File  Blade in baby food pouch.jpg   6.78KB   2 downloads

Comments attributed to Woolworths:

'All Macro baby food in this type of packaging is x-rayed'
'Our initial investigation shows the product was not spoilt which indicated the blade entered the packaging not long before the customer found it
' - which seems to imply malicious contamination but difficult to see how someone would not notice a slit and leaking product!

Either way, time for all Woolworths suppliers to check and ensure their blade control procedures are 'belt and braces'!

Quality Ben

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality, Laboratory, Technical Issues, Water Activity and Migration, VITAL, Allergens, Fresh Produce, Post Harvest, Cold Smoked Fish, Non Pasteurised Caviar, Cook/Chill, Listeria Hunting & Eradication/Environmental monitoring programs, Small-Goods, HACCP, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving, Risk Mitigation, Listeria.spp., High Risk, Chemistry, Cleaning and Sanitation, Biosecurity, Consultancy, Training, Process Control

Food Safety = Science + Culture

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:01 AM

Stories like this always ring the suspicion bell for me - I am not familiar with the exact process that the baby food goes through but I think that small razor blades are not a part of it and it seems that historical data suggests that generally when blades are found in baby food it is almost always food sabotage by a disgruntled employee or some other nut job that used to work for the company and got fired 20 years ago and has been plotting revenge ever since. 

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

Stories like this always ring the suspicion bell for me - I am not familiar with the exact process that the baby food goes through but I think that small razor blades are not a part of it and it seems that historical data suggests that generally when blades are found in baby food it is almost always food sabotage by a disgruntled employee or some other nut job that used to work for the company and got fired 20 years ago and has been plotting revenge ever since. 

You would think sabotage after filling would be noticeable - the pouch is pierced and product leaking?

The packaging would probably come in a roll so it would be impossible for a  blade to be in there without it being curved or protruding so damaging the pouch.

On filling I guess if an operator or maintenance left a blade in the filling chamber it could possibly fall in but the chances are extremely remote. If as I suspect the product is aseptic then the filling chamber is normally enclosed. The opportunity for malicious contamination here is limited as any packs when it is opened are regarded non sterile and are normally automatically rejected on an aseptic machine.

Sabotage or extortion then?

Quality Ben

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality, Laboratory, Technical Issues, Water Activity and Migration, VITAL, Allergens, Fresh Produce, Post Harvest, Cold Smoked Fish, Non Pasteurised Caviar, Cook/Chill, Listeria Hunting & Eradication/Environmental monitoring programs, Small-Goods, HACCP, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving, Risk Mitigation, Listeria.spp., High Risk, Chemistry, Cleaning and Sanitation, Biosecurity, Consultancy, Training, Process Control

Food Safety = Science + Culture

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

You would think sabotage after filling would be noticeable - the pouch is pierced and product leaking?

The packaging would probably come in a roll so it would be impossible for a  blade to be in there without it being curved or protruding so damaging the pouch.

On filling I guess if an operator or maintenance left a blade in the filling chamber it could possibly fall in but the chances are extremely remote. If as I suspect the product is aseptic then the filling chamber is normally enclosed. The opportunity for malicious contamination here is limited as any packs when it is opened are regarded non sterile and are normally automatically rejected on an aseptic machine.

I reckon you are onto it..... extortion seems a higher probability. Its something most large manufacturers will have to deal with at some stage......unfortunately. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

Hi Tony,

I was once informed of, probably non-anecdotal, experience of a just-fired employee dumping smaller pieces of same item in a biscuit mix ultimately for a thin plastic pack. One might have thought that packaging integrity would soon fail but problem only (luckily) detected by QA random sampling before exported. Perhaps retort pouches are stronger than they look (never used myself).

Unsurprisingly, above problem was not confined to one unit which is presumably the current horror element.

Also was last time that company did not immediately "monitor" ex-employees off the premises.

Rgds / Charles

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

The opportunity for malicious contamination here is limited as any packs when it is opened are regarded non sterile and are normally automatically rejected on an aseptic machine.

Never assume malice when incompetence will do

Unsurprisingly, above problem was not confined to one unit which is presumably the current horror element.

Rgds / Charles

Well, there goes incompetence

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users