Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

We don't have Star Trek emoticons!!!  If we are going to have Dr. Who.....how can we not have Star Trek?   Thus it is easy--to easy  for Mr. I. to get to his stated goal of making the tardis emoticon number 1.  

Simon can we please add Star Trek......someone has to give Mr. I, "a run for his money"  :rofl2:  :roflmao:  :rofl2:  :roflmao:

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:53 AM

I am not opposed to Star Trek or Dr Who, but I never got more than a handful of episodes into either of them. I will review wikipedia synopsis and pledge my allegiance to the correct TV emoticon when the war comes.  I would not be opposed to a tribble emoticon, those are adorable.

Also want / have needed but I don't know if they're at the emoticon shop -

- martini and/or wine / shots (not all of us are beer drinkers :beer:  & pot smokers :potplant: ) ,

- Marylin Monroe (someone cool requested a while ago, can't remember why or when)

- Puking/vomiting guys for when someone tells a gross horror story - see Tony's mouse in bread picture, which has scarred me for life.

- A dude taking off his glasses, cleaning them, then looking again - run that by me one more time

- A guy doing the Mr. Burns "Eggcellent" thing with his hands.

:off_topic:

Why do you have a double flip you emoticon if we cant type flip you?  Should I use it instead of cursing, or would it be somehow twice as offensive because he's doing it twice? Okay, what about this - :whistle:  " :blahblah: driving round town with the girl I love :blahblah: and I'm like :bird: ".  Twice as offensive, right?

Edited by magenta_majors, 19 June 2014 - 12:53 AM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Well...

You can't say one is better than the other because :doctor:  and Star Trek are not even in the same galaxy with each other (literally).  One is basically a dude that runs a lot and tries to keep the humans safe and murders a lot of other alien species in the process and the other one is a space show about exploring and fighting alien races to save the UFP (United Federation of Planets) ((holy cow I'm good I remember that lol).

Kirk/Picard/Janeway/etc can die... the doctor can't (anymore for a while... unless he's killed twice in a short period of time basically).

Doctor who always has Christmas episodes... how cool is that?  Pretty cool.

Doctor who has scarier villians.  If the Borg met the :dalek: Dalek I'm pretty sure the Dalek would win... I mean the :cyberman:  Cybermen are basically the Borg anyhow (assimilation = ultimate upgrade) so they really already killed a bunch of them on the show. Though I'm not sure as to why people are afraid of the weeping angels (of which we should have an emoticon).  They don't actually kill you they just send you back and time and feast on the energy released when they do that... so less pollution and you know who is going to win all the wars... how is that so bad.

Cyber Leader: Daleks, be warned. You have declared war upon the Cybermen.

Dalek Sec: This is not war - this is pest control!

Cyber Leader: We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?

Dalek Sec: Four.

Cyber Leader: You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?

Dalek Sec: We would destroy the Cybermen with one Dalek! You superior in only one respect.

Cyber Leader: What is that?

Dalek Sec: You are better at dying. Raise communications barrier!

("Doctor Who" Doomsday)

Startrek has a spaceship with no bathroom (I actually have a pretty solid theory on why)

Startrek has Kirk getting the green women (and boy did he)

Startrek had DS9 (I hated that show... so that's a negative for me)

Startrek said if you give the keys to a woman she'll get lost... in the Delta Quadrant.

Startrek has Picard... "Make it so."

Startrek has Geordi or should I say Levar Burton who everyone loves because he is cool as hell and is bringing back reading rainbow... see he really can do anything.

But...

Doctor who had K9 :k9: ... a robot dog that was more intelligent than one of the humans that was helping the doctor.

Doctor Who had Donna though (I hate Donna... I wish she would have fallen into the volcano in Pompii (Donna was there with the Doctor))

For special effects Star Trek wins out... Doctor Who doesn't waste money on things like cool explosions...

See... they are universes apart but both are EXCELLENT (now release the hounds :k9: )

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

So... all of this being said if you want to see if you will like Dr. Who don't watch the original shows first.  Don't watch S1 E1 of the new series.  Watch "Blink" (S3 E10) if you like horror shows or if you like action flicks check out "When a good man goes to war" (S6 E7) or if you like touchy feely chick flick kinda shows one of my favorite episodes is "The rings of Akhaten" (S7 E2).  I love the song the girl sings in that episode every once in a while I pull it up on YouTube and it's really just awesome.  In fact Google Youtube Rings of Akhaten song and listen to it... I love the song and it's obviously better in the context of the show.

You might not get everything but they are great episodes... then watch the whole thing.  I didn't like the 9th doctor much (Christopher Eccleston) but he's only on the first season of the new show and then it's on to David Tennent who is my favorite doctor, other than the war doctor, and the one after Tennant is Matt Smith who is ok... I didn't like his character as much as David Tennant.  I hope the next doctor is going to be great... he's an older actor like the first doctor of the old show and he was on the pompii episode. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Well, if we're talking emoticons, why can't we have a "Dukes of Hazard" or "A Team " one????

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

We could seriously have a "I pity the fool" Mr. T emoticon... just sayin.

Dukes of hazard???  Maybe the General Lee... but other than that.. idk.

Mr. Incognito

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Didn't like Christopher Eccelston?  <faints dead away> 

But we DO need a Weeping Angel emoticon. WeepingAngela.gif

http://forum.gatewor...tor-Who-smilies!

Simon, a very nice source!

Edited by Setanta, 19 June 2014 - 01:39 PM.

-Setanta         

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Didn't like Christopher Eccelston?  <faints dead away> 

But we DO need a Weeping Angel emoticon. 

Yeah sorry I thought he was the worst of the new 3 (4 with the war doctor) doctors and the fact that he refused to come back and be in The Day of the Doctor special... hate him. 

That was by far one of the best episodes of Doctor Who especially with the full doctor spread when the doctors did the thing they did at the end... and he refused to be in it...

Mr. Incognito

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

You are confusing the actor with the role.  I liked his version of the Doctor.  The actor, less so.

-Setanta         

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

I dislike both.  I didn't think his portrayal of the doctor was nearly as good as Matt Smith and by far not nearly as good as David Tennant.  I dislike the actor for sucking, in my opinion, as well.  His portrayal as the doctor didn't feel organic.  When I watch his episodes it feels forced... just my opinion feel free to like him/his doctor portrayal if you want.

David Tennant was by far, in my opinion, the best doctor and Matt Smith was alright. 

Mr. Incognito

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

Agree to disagree. I actually avoided Matt Smith episodes.  I've mostly caught up, but watching him is painful for me. 

-Setanta         

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Some of smith's episodes are pretty bad.  I agree he can be hard to watch.  Some of them are spectacular though... that's what gets me through.  Make sure you don't miss The Rings of Akhaten that is one of his best episodes I think.  The baby arc kinda sucked I thought... I didn't like that stream of episodes but I loved loved loved River Song... she was a fun character.

Mr. Incognito

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

Sorry to butt in, I will try and find the requested emoticons.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

Sorry to butt in, I will try and find the requested emoticons.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

:dalek:  :cyberman:  lol

Mr. Incognito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Morning meetings finally over, tests are started, now onto the truly important stuff...

I am not opposed to Star Trek or Dr Who, but I never got more than a handful of episodes into either of them. I will review wikipedia synopsis and pledge my allegiance to the correct TV emoticon when the war comes.  I would not be opposed to a tribble emoticon, those are adorable.

That would be cool.  They are adorable.  Your other ideas are great as well. 

Mr I, you make some valid points.  I a die hard Star Trek fan had trouble with DS9, and voyager, could barely watch them.  Enterprise was better but the continuity issues drove me crazy.  Really there is Star Trek and Next Generation.  I love the new movie series.  The new Kirk and Spock....yummy!  They did a great job with McCoy, okay with Scotty, but  Checkov....really they could have done so much better there. 

Dr. Who has some clever ideas but it was hard for me to get into the series.  

But Star Trek is especially the first one spoke to the some of the finer ideas of humanity.  At time when kids where doing the "duck and cover" drills under their desk in case of nuclear attack (yeah that will help survive against an atomic weapon) when the world seemed to be spiraling out control faster than warp speed, Star Trek said we can be and do better.  it spoke to many about better possibilities.  I can't help think we need something like this now.  Can we find something to bring out our better natures and selves and spread hope. 

Live Long and Prosper (emoticon here.....as soon as we get one.  LOL)

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

But Star Trek is especially the first one spoke to the some of the finer ideas of humanity.  At time when kids where doing the "duck and cover" drills under their desk in case of nuclear attack (yeah that will help survive against an atomic weapon) when the world seemed to be spiraling out control faster than warp speed, Star Trek said we can be and do better.  it spoke to many about better possibilities.  I can't help think we need something like this now.  Can we find something to bring out our better natures and selves and spread hope. 

That's no worse a tactic than the Army teaches.  If there is a nuclear detonation you are supposed to dig a hole, get in it, and cover yourself with electronic equipment... no lie.  If you don't have time for that you are supposed to lie down on the ground with the top of your head pointed toward the explosion...  Drill Sergeants would say, out of nowhere, I am the bright white flash... and you were supposed to just drop to the ground like if you saw a nuke plume.

I think I'd rather be under a desk

-This was directly out of the Army IET manual they give in boot camp.  It even had a picture of how to cover yourself with electronics (like radios) in the hole.

Edited by Mr. Incognito, 19 June 2014 - 04:45 PM.

Mr. Incognito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

That's no worse a tactic than the Army teaches.  If there is a nuclear detonation you are supposed to dig a hole, get in it, and cover yourself with electronic equipment... no lie.  If you don't have time for that you are supposed to lie down on the ground with the top of your head pointed toward the explosion...  Drill Sergeants would say, out of nowhere, I am the bright white flash... and you were supposed to just drop to the ground like if you saw a nuke plume.

I think I'd rather be under a desk

-This was directly out of the Army IET manual they give in boot camp.  It even had a picture of how to cover yourself with electronics (like radios) in the hole.

Crazy....yep pointing your head towards the blast or covering yourself with electronics...that will help.....Not.   Think we just need to find a way to get along.  :beer:

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:40 AM

I have a friend who saw active service in Iraq (other war zones are / were available!)

They were being attacked once, and she folded herself up under a chair to hide. No mean feat when your 6ft 1!!

Like a bloody chair was going to save her!!

Caz x

Edited by cazyncymru, 20 June 2014 - 07:40 AM.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

Wow... under a chair?  That would be rough.  That's just deploying the art of hiding not trying to have a chair save you.

\||// live long and prosper

(that's my Vulcan hand lol)

Mr. Incognito

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Obligatory -

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

Wow... under a chair?  That would be rough.  That's just deploying the art of hiding not trying to have a chair save you.

\||// live long and prosper

(that's my Vulcan hand lol)

It probably just makes it easier for them to ID the body...  :oops:

-Setanta         

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

You must obey the civil defense worker... :dalek:

I've actually never seen one of these videos... interesting watch. 

Mr. Incognito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

Obligatory -

Loved the video.....I want one of those old cars.  The bike was cool too. 

Live Long and Prosper (emoticon coming LOL)

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Kelly S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 36 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci Fi Geek, Book Lover, Chef-in-my-own-kitchen, Eclectic Music Collector

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

I know I'm late to this thread but what about Star Wars emoticons as well?  sSW_Dad.gif sSW_tiegas.gif  jedisabre.gif

“Will this be on the test?" "Yeah, about the test. The test will measure whether you are an informed, engaged, and productive citizen of the world, and it will take place in schools and bars and hospitals and dorm rooms and in places of worship. You will be tested on first dates, in job interviews, while watching football, and while scrolling through your Twitter feed. The test will judge your ability to think about things other than celebrity marriages, whether you’ll be easily persuaded by empty political rhetoric, and whether you’ll be able to place your life and your community in a broader context. The test will last your entire life, and it will be comprised of the millions of decisions, that when taken together, make your life yours. And everything — EVERYTHING — will be on it.”

-  John Green

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Lol Wyld it looks like you got some in there anyhow :doctor:

But excellent point.  The force is strong with you!

Mr. Incognito

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users