Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

As the title depicts I need your help in order to carry my daily food items for 5-6 days as if I going for a tour. But really confused after I had a discussion with my friend as I said, I would be bringing all the food stuffs in Ziplock bags but the problem is he was not satisfied that I'm bringing the items in Ziplock!!

So can any one suggest me something good that I can use for packaging? And also from where I should buy that product?

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

Caron

What type of product are you traveling with? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

caronrichard

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

Caron

What type of product are you traveling with? 

Sorry for my late reply,

I would carry food items especially liquid stuffs like juice, milk etc in addition to this I'll also prefer to carry beaf as well.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Juice and milk...hmmm...let me see, how about  the containers they come in like cartons/bottles.  When I go for a picnic I prefer not to waste my time transferring drinks into other containers...it wastes too much of the day.   Regarding the beef...now that is more difficult and very much depends if raw or cooked.  If cooked, maybe you could carry it in some bread with perhaps some nice salad and mayo.  You could easily wrap that in some foil and hey presto.  You could prepare a few of them the night before leaving you more time to adventure.  If on the other hand the meat is raw, maybe you need a refrigerator.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

Sorry for my late reply,

I would carry food items especially liquid stuffs like juice, milk etc in addition to this I'll also prefer to carry beaf as well.

I think we may need a bit more information if you are planning to carry enough food for 5-6 days!

Is the juice & milk fresh(raw), pasteurised or UHT?- only UHT will be safe for 5-6 days if kept unopened in original container

Cooked beef should be kept below 8 degrees celsius to slow down growth of pathogens (afetr 4hrs or so at room temp- I wouldn't eat it never mind 5 days!)

You can get cool boxes that claim to maintain tempo using ice packs for up to 48hrs as long as you don't open the lid too many times- or 12v one's which plug into your car lighter socket and are good for as long as they are plugged in

Also are you travelling to a different country- at many border crossings you will be told to dispose of any food you are carrying anyway!

Regards

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

caronrichard

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

Juice and milk...hmmm...let me see, how about  the containers they come in like cartons/bottles.  When I go for a picnic I prefer not to waste my time transferring drinks into other containers...it wastes too much of the day.   Regarding the beef...now that is more difficult and very much depends if raw or cooked.  If cooked, maybe you could carry it in some bread with perhaps some nice salad and mayo.  You could easily wrap that in some foil and hey presto.  You could prepare a few of them the night before leaving you more time to adventure.  If on the other hand the meat is raw, maybe you need a refrigerator.

Thanks for your suggestion Simon!

It really sounds workable for milk and liquid stuffs but as far as beef is concerned I'm still confused whether to carry it or not?

Please suggest me something that I could be affective.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

You should not try to carry raw beef. Get some dried jerky, or cooked burger patties and carry them. Many supermarkers and sporting goods stores carry portable food. Please check them out online.

-Setanta         

caronrichard

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

You should not try to carry raw beef. Get some dried jerky, or cooked burger patties and carry them. Many supermarkers and sporting goods stores carry portable food. Please check them out online.

I appreciate your response but the problem is I normally used to prefer some on time beef rather than going for readymade ones. And secondly I'm still worried for buying some packaging stuffs online as if once I had purchased some stuffs from a particular website but as soon as I had seen those stuffs, surprisingly those were of very cheap quality   :(

So, it would be great if anyone of you can suggest me any good packaging websites like ebay, packagingsuppliesbymail.com, amazon, etc

Which one of these shall I prefer?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

So, it would be great if anyone of you can suggest me any good packaging websites like ebay, packagingsuppliesbymail.com, amazon, etc

Which one of these shall I prefer?

Since you are asking I would use a reputable company like amazon or ebay as you are always covered for problems, returns and refunds.

I notice that packagingsuppliesbymail.com has the same logo.

Attached File  logo.png   10.7KB   1 downloads

as your IFSQN forum avatar.

Attached File  46814f42b17be40dd33e305f3a1787c0.jpeg   3.76KB   1 downloads

What an incredible coincidence!

: :diespam:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi