• Quick Navigation
Photo

Substitution for chlorine tablet in Fruit and Veg Sanitisation?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Rishin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Bahrain
    Bahrain

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Please suggest a substitution for chlorine tablet in Fruit and Veg Sanitisation washing....

jel

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 33 thanks
Good

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

You could use peroxiacetic acid

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

Please suggest a substitution for chlorine tablet in Fruit and Veg Sanitisation washing....

Dear Rishin,

see the attachment in this post - 

http://www.ifsqn.com...indpost&p=75643

("farm" = fruit/vegetables process)

Rgds   / Charles.C

PS - there are also many summaries in earlier threads here if you search a little.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Harish R

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:21 AM

This is what we use in our company. No rinsing required after washing. A good product from ecolab

http://www.ecolab.co...atment-brochure

With Best Regards

Harish

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

This is what we use in our company. No rinsing required after washing. A good product from ecolab

http://www.ecolab.co...atment-brochure

Dear hareesh,

Thks for the info.

Unfortunately  link is devoid of chemical information, ie What is it ? :smile:

it's quantitative, validated, effect on the product is IMO of equal interest as compared to the wash water ?

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - I did try one of the "informative"  links on right hand side. The opening sentence of "Water alone does not kill pathogens" prompted a quick click of the mouse. Really !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Harish R

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

Dear Charles

It is a peracetic acid based chemical. Here is the msds. http://birite.com/wp...4/05/850063.pdf

With Best Regards

Harish

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:32 AM

Dear Rishin,

see the attachment in this post - 

http://www.ifsqn.com...indpost&p=75643

("farm" = fruit/vegetables process)

Rgds   / Charles.C

PS - there are also many summaries in earlier threads here if you search a little.

Nice link & document Charles :thumbup:

I was going to suggest Ozone, Peroxyacetic Acid, Acetic Acid or Hydrogen Peroxide which are all included.

Regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Dear Charles

It is a peracetic acid based chemical. Here is the msds. http://birite.com/wp...4/05/850063.pdf

Dear Hareesh,

Thks for safety data. However no info. on effectiveness regarding processed product, eg in/out average bacterial reduction (if any).

I feel some sympathy for the unlucky employees who presumably have to dilute the concentrate on site. I find enough problems with the, relatively, simpler sodium hypochlorite.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Harish R

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

There is no need to dilute. The company provides automatic dispenser. The chemical is approved by the local authority, which they give only after validation is provided. Let me try with the company for that study. 

With Best Regards

Harish

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

Dear Charles

Dear Hareesh,

Thks for safety data. However no info. on effectiveness regarding processed product, eg in/out average bacterial reduction (if any).

I feel some sympathy for the unlucky employees who presumably have to dilute the concentrate on site. I find enough problems with the, relatively, simpler sodium hypochlorite.

Rgds / Charles.C

There is no need to dilute. The company provides automatic dispenser. The chemical is approved by the local authority, which they give only after validation is provided. Let me try with the company for that study. 

Maybe it is your English but there is definitely 'a need to dilute':

Product As Sold - Hazardous ingredients/Concentration Range
ACETIC ACID 32
Peroxyacetic acid 15
HYDROGEN PEROXIDE 11

Product AT USE DILUTION - Hazardous ingredients/Concentration Range (%)
ACETIC ACID <0.5
Peracetic acid <0.5

Perhaps you meant you have automated dilution?

Regards,

Tony

Harish R

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

Sorry. I meant no need for dilution by staff. The company provides an automatic dispenser which will dispense the chemical with required dilution. We just have to fill the sink designated for the purpose and immerse the fruits/vegetables. They will also provide test strips to check concentration and monthly the technician will visit for service and adjust the dispenser if required.  

With Best Regards

Harish

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

Sorry. I meant no need for dilution by staff. The company provides an automatic dispenser which will dispense the chemical with required dilution. We just have to fill the sink designated for the purpose and immerse the fruits/vegetables. They will also provide test strips to check concentration and monthly the technician will visit for service and adjust the dispenser if required.  

I deduce you mean the dispenser is preloaded with diluted mixture then replaced with a new unit when empty (or refilled by the supplier perhaps), ie no need for user to fill the dispenser or store the concentrates. The latter steps are why many people have avoided certain potent sanitizers, one look at the warnings in SOP was enough. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Harish R

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

Dear Charles,

The company makes it even easier. The chemical can be loaded into the dispenser without any dilution. It can be connected to a water source and the dispenser gives the chemical at required concentration. Monthly service and daily monitoring ensures that the concentration does not vary

Edited by Hareesh, 30 July 2014 - 03:17 AM.

With Best Regards

Harish

Kelly S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 36 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci Fi Geek, Book Lover, Chef-in-my-own-kitchen, Eclectic Music Collector

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

^ We use the same system with our hydrobath. It automatically doses and the operators only have to monitor it hourly with minimal deviation. 

“Will this be on the test?" "Yeah, about the test. The test will measure whether you are an informed, engaged, and productive citizen of the world, and it will take place in schools and bars and hospitals and dorm rooms and in places of worship. You will be tested on first dates, in job interviews, while watching football, and while scrolling through your Twitter feed. The test will judge your ability to think about things other than celebrity marriages, whether you’ll be easily persuaded by empty political rhetoric, and whether you’ll be able to place your life and your community in a broader context. The test will last your entire life, and it will be comprised of the millions of decisions, that when taken together, make your life yours. And everything — EVERYTHING — will be on it.”

-  John Green

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:03 AM

Dear Charles,

The company makes it even easier. The chemical can be loaded into the dispenser without any dilution. It can be connected to a water source and the dispenser gives the chemical at required concentration. Monthly service and daily monitoring ensures that the concentration does not vary

If i understand yr post correctly, the negative aspect is that the user has to both store and handle the concentrates. See my previous post. i agree that this is easier for the supply company.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users