• Quick Navigation
Photo

3.5.3.1 - Supplier Approval Documentation for the Auditing Body

Share this

Best Answer , 21 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

I would think that a screen shot of the BRC Directory showing that your certification body is approved by the BRC would be enough. 

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Turkey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Does anyone have an example of a questionairre sent to the BRC auditing body, that can be used for supplier approval? I understand that some plants are being found to be noncompliant with 3.5.3.1 (There shall be a documented procedure for the approval and monitoring of suppliers of services) for not having the auditing body on the list of approved suppliers.

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

Of the "Supplier Approval" idea, clause section 3.5.3 deals with Management of suppliers of services (3.5.1 with Management of suppliers of raw materials and packaging, 3.5.2 with Raw material and packaging acceptance and monitoring procedures). So the idea of not having a list of approved suppliers for the auditor does not only apply to 3.5.3.

Regardless, of Management of suppliers "services" in 3.5.3:

Is there a documented procedure for the approval and monitoring of suppliers of services?

Does the procedure include pest control?

Does the procedure include laundry services?

Does the procedure include contracted cleaning?

Does the procedure include contracted servicing and maintenance of equipment?

Does the procedure include transport and distribution?

Does the procedure include off-site storage of ingredients, packaging or products?

Does the procedure include laboratory testing?

Does the procedure include catering services?

Does the procedure include waste management?

Do contracts or formal agreements exist with the suppliers of services which clearly define service expectations and ensure potential food safety risks associated with the service have been addressed?

questionnaire is one way of managing it, dependent on risk to the operation. Each industry is going to be different:  If your operations is preparing ready-to-eat food vs. seafood intended to be cooked by the customer, ones questionnaire will be radical different for laundry services (or not even appropriate).

Turkey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Maybe I am not clear, We have a very extensive list of approved suppliers of services, packaging, raw materials, etc. However, we do not have the auditing body itself on the list as an approved supplier of services for the auditing process. Since the auditing body is performing a service (conducting the GFSI audit) they should be on the list as well. This has not been an issue for us for the last 6 years, but I have read that this is a "new" directive to the auditors to ensure that the auditing body is approved as a supplier of services under 3.5.3.1

Bill78

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Safety, Family, Golf and all things BBQ

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:06 PM   Best Answer

I would think that a screen shot of the BRC Directory showing that your certification body is approved by the BRC would be enough. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hi Bill78, Turkey, Baron

I've just spoken to my certification body, because it is a good question, and they have confirmed that a screenshot from the BRC Directory (don't forget it gets update every 6 months) and a copy of the UKAS certificate will satisfy this need.

Caz x

Edited by Charles.C, 10 March 2015 - 03:02 PM.

Turkey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

Thank you! I wasnt sure if a screen shot would be sufficient.

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Sorry Turkey, I misunderstood your question.

However,

Good point. 

Hi Bill78, Turkey, Baron

I've just spoken to my certification body, because it is a good question, and they have confirmed that a screenshot from the BRC Directory (don't forget it gets update every 6 months) and a copy of the UKAS certificate will satisfy this need.

Caz x

Yes, "Are they a creditable and competent CB?"

Criteria: BRC's Approval of CB.

This is a good point as IFS has been suspending certification bodies and publicly announcing these facts: 

http://www.ifs-newsl...=bece5d8542&p=1

http://www.ifs-newsl...=bece5d8542&p=1

bornyesterday

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:44 PM

I think it might be a good idea to have them fill out a questionnaire.  What's good for the goose...

“Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."  - Henry Ford

Dapulu

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:30 PM

One time an auditor asked about the certification body and we entered the BRC directory online and showed him the cetification body in it. He left an observation on the audit report that we should add it to the list of approved suppliers. However, there was no compliance.

Also I didn't know about the UKAS certificate.

Thanks!

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

You could always turn up and do an unannounced audit on them.

As above, gooses and ganders.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users