Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

I am developing a HACCP plan for a company that makes vegetarian meat substitutes. They are high risk products that requires refrigeration. They do not own refrigerated trucks, and they do not deliver their own products. Customers (mostly distributors) come to the plant and pick up the product . Do I include shipping as a CCP? Is it the responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure the distributor  transports the product with the proper temperature? Is so, what needs to be monitored? Is it enough to make sure the truck is refrigerated, or do we have to verify the truck is the proper temperature?  

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the goal of the company is to eventually get BRC certification. 

SpursGirl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 83 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Hi

In my experience in working with temperature sensitive chilled foods I have shipping/dispatch as part of my Prerequisite program so it becomes a CP not a CCP.

I always get a physical check of the truck temperature before product is loaded - it is not enough to check the set point of the truck to see what temperature it should run at, you need to know what temperature it is actually at. Set your temperature requirements in your service agreements with your distributor and ket them know that you will not load product unless the truck is at the correct temperature. Let them sit and wait for the truck temperature to get within spec if they turn up too warm.

Check the temperature of your product before you load the truck - you need to document that your temperature controls are within specificaiton.

I also use temptale data loggers in truck deliveries which I have sent back to me. That way I can check the temperature profile of the whole journey and have evidence to present to the distributor if my product reaches its final destinaiton out of temperature spec.

Keep records of everything and have corrective actions for any deviations.

Hope that helps - and good luck!

S

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

Dear TMF Ben

It may depend on what standard you are using but IMEX most haccp plans, eg in books, terminate at the cold store.

No obvious reason for a CCP anyway ?

Or follow Spurs Girl. Personally i handle this step within QA Program.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

Generally speaking what Spurs Girl is doing is the norm and it is not a CCP.  However, while I have tried doing the data loggers, it was difficult to get them back even when a free gift was involved for its return.  The free improved the return rate, but still it was low. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hi,

HACCP has to cover the whole food chain.

In my opinion it depends where the transition point of risk is. If you deliver DDP, it is your responsiblity to cover HACCP. If the distributors pick up the goods, it is their responsiblity.

Rgds

moskito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hi,

In my opinion it depends where the transition point of risk is. If you deliver DDP, it is your responsiblity to cover HACCP. If the distributors pick up the goods, it is their responsiblity.

Rgds

moskito

Agreed  that HACCP has to cover the whole food chain, but for many products it is a CP not a CCP

Edited by Snookie, 25 July 2014 - 03:41 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Hi,

Rgds

moskito

Dear moskito,

As compared to FOB and CIF,  I presume. (first time I have encountered DDP aka Delivered Dutied Paid)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

Dear Charles C.

we order most of our liquid truck loads (fat, chocolate etc.) DDP, i.e. responsibility is with the supplier even if he is using a contractor (auditing of cleaning station, release of those, clening program, cleaning certificate) -> HACCP and definitions of CCP/CP is his job. We check this during annual audits.

Rgds

moskito

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

Dear Snookie,

see post before - formal HACCP analysis is needed - assessment whether there is or is not a CP and or CCP.

Rgds

moskito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Dear Snookie,

see post before - formal HACCP analysis is needed - assessment whether there is or is not a CP and or CCP.

Rgds

moskito

Dear Moskito,

And I agreed.  I did not say in perhaps the way you would have liked but ultimately the HACCP assessment needs to be evaluated and a determination then made.  For MOST  it is a CP not a CCP....but that can only be determined once the assessment is done.

Edited by Snookie, 25 July 2014 - 04:56 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:39 AM

I am developing a HACCP plan for a company that makes vegetarian meat substitutes. They are high risk products that requires refrigeration. They do not own refrigerated trucks, and they do not deliver their own products. Customers (mostly distributors) come to the plant and pick up the product . Do I include shipping as a CCP? Is it the responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure the distributor  transports the product with the proper temperature? Is so, what needs to be monitored? Is it enough to make sure the truck is refrigerated, or do we have to verify the truck is the proper temperature?  

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the goal of the company is to eventually get BRC certification. 

Your contract should define at what point the product responsibility becomes the customers. If they are collecting and arranging the distribution then I would say your responsibility ends on dispatch so checking product temperature plus vehicle temperature before and after loading but temperatures during shipping would be your customer's responsibility.

By your own definition the product is 'high risk' so it is possible that product temperature is a CCP especially if temperature abuse could lead to dangerous levels of pathogens in RTE products or there are toxin producers present in the product.

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users