Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

I need a Glass and Brittle Plastics Policy and Breakage Procedure for a frozen warehouse.  We do cold storage and frozen storage for food that is already sealed and packaged by the manufacturer.  We offload it, store it, and re-load it when it is picked up.  We do not process any food.  Food is not at risk of contamination, yet the auditor is asking for a procedure in the event of breakage.  Will a simple statement work? 

Kelly S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 36 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci Fi Geek, Book Lover, Chef-in-my-own-kitchen, Eclectic Music Collector

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:15 AM

I would say probably not. From an auditors perspective they have to look at the worst case scenario and if nothing else, you should have a document in place that states what must be done in the event of glass breakage.

This is a good basic template I found a while ago which is a good place to start

https://www.google.c....71667212,d.c2E

“Will this be on the test?" "Yeah, about the test. The test will measure whether you are an informed, engaged, and productive citizen of the world, and it will take place in schools and bars and hospitals and dorm rooms and in places of worship. You will be tested on first dates, in job interviews, while watching football, and while scrolling through your Twitter feed. The test will judge your ability to think about things other than celebrity marriages, whether you’ll be easily persuaded by empty political rhetoric, and whether you’ll be able to place your life and your community in a broader context. The test will last your entire life, and it will be comprised of the millions of decisions, that when taken together, make your life yours. And everything — EVERYTHING — will be on it.”

-  John Green

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Most glass & brittle plastic policies require a risk assessment.  Which means you list any glass or brittle plastic  that could impact the product and assign a risk level.  For example warehouse light bulbs could be a low risk even though they are over boxes because the units are shielded and the food is in primary packaging and then in secondary, cardboard packaging.  Generally speaking an audit is done regularly based on the risk level.  Perhaps your low risk is monthly and your high risk is daily. 

This shows the auditor that you have looked at all of the possibilities, know what the risks are and monitoring.

Wyldice is right that you should also have a policy that says what you do in the effect of breakage. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 2 Members:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

I need a Glass and Brittle Plastics Policy and Breakage Procedure for a frozen warehouse.  We do cold storage and frozen storage for food that is already sealed and packaged by the manufacturer.  We offload it, store it, and re-load it when it is picked up.  We do not process any food.  Food is not at risk of contamination, yet the auditor is asking for a procedure in the event of breakage.  Will a simple statement work? 

As an example the BRC S&D Standard refers to protection of bulbs, strip lights and EFK's requiring shatterproof plastic diffusers and glass items such as windows protected against breakage.

As an auditor I would expect to see a policy regarding such items, identification and checks of high risk items and a simple procedure with checklist and signature to verify any breakage has been dealt with effectively and no product was affected.

Regards,

Tony

GlassGuard

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Even with diffuser covers, there is still a risk element in that the glass bulbs and strip lights themselves are not adequately protected. The risk of breakage and glass contamination significantly increases when they are being replaced. This risk can be minimised by using fragment retention lamps.

GlassGuard

bifidogen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:32 AM

Need it

Share this