Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

SQF 2.4.7 refers to requirements for product rework.

SQF Defines rework as:

Food, materials, and ingredients, including work in progress, that is clean, unadulterated
and that has left the normal product flow and requires action to be taken on it before it is
acceptable for release and is suitable for reuse within the process.

Do most members treat all work in progress as rework. My interpretation had always been that is non-compliant and requires action (ie rework) to make it acceptable for release. Our SQF Consultant says that all WIP is considered rework because it has left the normal product flow.

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

This is my experience with rework for SQF 7.2 and before.

SQF sees rework in 2 ways.

1. Product returned to the line during production due to equipment or packaging malfunction where there is not a significant alteration in the product or batch. You may called this process "Product Recycle" instead of Rework.
    Need
    1. Procedure clearly stating what you do with your production recycle.
    2. Work instruction
    3. Verification and validation

2. Product Rework is when the product has a recipe problem, a coding mistake or packaging mistake ect... and the product has to probably be handled again to fix the problem.
    Need
    1. Procedure MUST BE clear in how the organization or operations handles Reworks and the necessary steps to protect food safety.

2. Detail documentation and records of the product reworked and the necessary proof that the product is safe and if you hope for level 3 that the Quality has not been compromised

3. Verification and Validation of this process.

Note:

Most Companies deal with rework by stating a Policy of No Reworks or the product is disposed if it fails food safety and quality checks because is the easiest thing to do; however, the reality is that where is money involved, there will be a rework. Also, with the FSMA implementation coming online you may be asked to produce proof of No rework Policy and may be evidence of what happens when the product did not pass your food safety checks and Quality checks.

I hope this helps  :shades:

Edited by Kellio, 23 July 2014 - 09:28 PM.

Thanked by 2 Members:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

Your definition is only partial and does not include recoup and recycle - be sure you are quoting 7.2 and not 7.1

Secondly your consultant is incorrect if in fact that is what he/she actually said.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic