• 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

Dear All,

Some advice if you are able.

I am putting together a HACCP plan for a hotel who have a small automatic bottling plant providing still and sparkling water in bottles for functions etc, the plant runs for a couple of hours most days.

The water is not treated in house to any degree (apart from the addition of CO2 to the sparkling type as such) and comes from the mains public supply via the local water authorty, into the hotel holding tanks and then feeds into the bottling plant.

Obvioulsy the incoming water must be potable and one would assume that to be the case from the water authority, the hazard being that it might not be and the control being we would expect the authority to contact us to make it known if it was not. Does this ie contamination from source such as oocyts, heavy metals etc become a CCP or is it part of a pre-requisite programme?

Welcome any thoughts on this.

Kind regards

Tim

jel

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 33 thanks
Good

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

All water for human consumption shall comply with the applicable regulation. 

If you controls applied will be considered as CPP or oPPR will depend on the quality of the incoming water and the treatment followed; I recommend you read the excellent article that appeared yesterday in this forum George Howlett: "Unlocking Control measures in food safety"

Thanked by 1 Member:

SUSHIL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 162 posts
  • 225 thanks
Good

• India
    India

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:38 AM

Hello Mr Tim,

Since water is stored in your Holding Tanks In-House contamination can occur in these tanks so cleaning of tanks periodically will be your prp.Also you have to follow GMP.Initially check your water from outside Accreditated lab for specification as per your country's regulatory requirements (basically physical (odor,color,TDS,Taste,PH etc,chemical  (heavy and toxic metals ,Pesticides residues etc and Microbiological parameters-Apc,Yeasts and Molds,Coliforms,Salmonella,E.coli etc).Check for residual chlorine content of your local water.

Hence as per your laboratory report you have to treat your water.

Whatever may be the source of water ,Normally local water is not filtered hence may contain considerable amount of mud which settles in tanks over a period of time. Bottled water always requires treatment by passing through sand,activated carbon filter and 10 & 5 micron filters (through R.O. if high TDS),U.V.Treatment and filnally through .22 micron filter and finally ozonisation only for plain bottled water and not for carbonised water.

So your CCP willl be Clorination for local water in tanks (residual chlorine 2-3 ppm) and for final treated plain water ozonisation (.2-.3 ppm) or U.V.Treatment for carbonised water.

Test periodically from outside approved labs for verification that your treatment of water is Okay.

Edited by SUSHIL, 02 August 2014 - 04:39 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

Dear timgassick,

I assume yr OP is partially a response to yr obligation to have official approval for yr proposed installation. ?

In view of the detailed controls exerted on this input supply by Municipal Authorities, i would anticipate that numerous local regulatory requirements will be associated with the undertaking.?

Or perhaps UK hotels are exempted from Oversight issues ? :dunno:

(just trying to get a little context to assist replies to yr OP)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

Ah, I've worked in a bottle facility for a couple years (and before that municipal water system) .  I can probably help you with this, but I'm in the US to it might be a little different, as bottle water is FDA and public water is EPA. Mostly mimicking Sushil -

The water is not treated in house to any degree (apart from the addition of CO2 to the sparkling type as such) and comes from the mains public supply via the local water authorty, into the hotel holding tanks and then feeds into the bottling plant.

Obvioulsy the incoming water must be potable and one would assume that to be the case from the water authority, the hazard being that it might not be and the control being we would expect the authority to contact us to make it known if it was not. Does this ie contamination from source such as oocyts, heavy metals etc become a CCP or is it part of a pre-requisite programme?

Kind regards

Tim

At the plant I'd test incoming city water weekly for micro & Chlorine - but in the states city water is chlorinated up to 2 ppm .  Some areas add fluoride to the water as well, for the children.

We had a carbon filtering system, O2 system, UV, and a distiller, so a few more CCPs.  Heavy metal, TDS, bromate/bromide, arsenic etc were tested on a semi-annual basis.  

Here the city must make available to the public their micro and chemistry testing results, and if you call your local city water department, they give them to you for the closest sampling point. They should have a lot of micro & chem data . 

However, here, the public water is only guaranteed to the curb - meaning the pipes you have installed from the city to your plant can be damaged, allowing in contamination, and  react (if they are old pipes they might not be made of a good material and can cause leeching/reaction), so you have to test the water that you are actually using in your process.   As a side note, the city was mandated to test water from a random sample of local homes quarterly to ensure that even if the owners had ancient pipes, the drinking water levels would still be safe. 

PSA (Public Service Announcement): After working in both private and public drinking water sectors, I can say that I drink from the tap (NEVER THE COOLER) every time.  Clean your office's water dispenser by running chlorine through it. Right now.  It's gross inside.  Your poor employees! 

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Thanked by 2 Members:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

Dear All,

Some advice if you are able.

I am putting together a HACCP plan for a hotel who have a small automatic bottling plant providing still and sparkling water in bottles for functions etc, the plant runs for a couple of hours most days.

Kind regards

Tim

You might find WHO Guidelines on Drinking Water Quality useful:

http://www.ifsqn.com...-water-quality/

Contrary to Sushil's post as you are in the UK your water will be filtered and will not contain mud (although I would still have a filter as near to filling as possible).

It would also be useful to know if you are bottling in plastic or glass?

Regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 03 August 2014 - 07:00 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

timgassick

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:22 AM

Dear All.

Many thanks for your replies - I have been away since posting hence why I have not replied until now.

Basically the bottling plant is very small scale compared to a commercial type plant and we bottle glass bottled water with a shelf life of no more than 4-7 days depenidn in the type of water involved.

Therre is no UV treatment involved we just take the mians supply water via water storage tanks and essentially bottle it and or add CO2. We don't make any specific claims about the water so that is no issue.There is a filter just prior to the final filling line to remove any small impurities.

As I say I am writing the HACCP and was just wondering if I make the supply aspect from the water authority a CCP or is it really just part of a pre-requisite programme.

As with any operation invovling food and or drinks here int the UK we are sibject to inspection by the local council, hence why I am keen to get the HACCP right and this is a point as described above whih is vexing me. Out side of this there is no need for any prior approval as we are not really doing anything that makes that necesssary.

Hope that helps clarify a few little issues as raised in the discussion so far?!

Reagrds

Tim

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Your water needs to comply with the Drinking Water Regs ' which if it is mains water should do.

As you are not treating it, the I think it can be a fair assumption that the water supply is not a CCP. However, I would have the filtration as a CCP.

Just ensure that you have all of the water results. Water companies tend to issue their reports annually, and are usually a year behind. Make sure you have your own results to hand.

Caz x

Thanked by 1 Member:

timgassick

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hi Caz,

Thanks for that.

Yes the filtration is a CCP, we also take monthly micro checks for which we keep records.

Tim

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

Dear timgassick,

Presumably you will need to convince "The Person from the LCC" that you have in no way contaminated the validatably inputted pristine water supply.

From a Haccp POV and based on yr previous description,  this would appear to call for a few judicious PRPs focussing on confirming use of  "Food Grade" water input / gas being added, and a satisfactorily Sanitary bottling operation.

Hopefully the PLCC will be satisfied with a HACCP plan containing zero CCPs. They should be delighted, ie no significant risks.

On the other hand, if they demand at least one CCP to be found i guess you can always add the filtration in and hope they don't ask why the pre-validated input is now a significant hazard (or perhaps it genuinely is ?).

I would anticipate that a few appropriate analyses of the chemical status of the bottled product might also be asked for as Verification of yr HACCP (Gassing-Bottling) System.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS  - of course, if you are in a 5-star Hotel, that may help a little :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users