Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

We are a bakery, and currently we require all staff to wear smocks which are laundered in house however they can wear what ever trousers they like from home., and of course steel toe shoes.

For visitors and contractors mainly pest control and third party maintence workers what should they be required to wear?

Does anyone else require their pest control and contracted maintenace workers to wear the exact uniform as staff. I was just not sure how to go about implementing this. As they already come in their own uniforms but follow our hair net and bear snood policy only.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

If production staff are required to wear smocks then your visitors and contractors should wear them as well.  In one plant we had extra color coded smocks for visitors and contractors so it was clear they were visitors, but in most plants we require that they follow the same rules as the production employees.   

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Prudence

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

Re visiting contractors own uniforms; you have no idea where those uniforms might have been (!)

Ragga

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

The contractors should be made to put on some sort of protective gear. Like the smocks. Colour coding is good if it can be done. As Prudence said, you do not know where those clothes have been (esp. pest controllers and maintenance staff). It's also not a good impression on the staff. You'll start getting people questioning "why do we have to wear smocks if they don't"

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

We are a bakery, and currently we require all staff to wear smocks which are laundered in house however they can wear what ever trousers they like from home., and of course steel toe shoes.

For visitors and contractors mainly pest control and third party maintence workers what should they be required to wear?

Does anyone else require their pest control and contracted maintenace workers to wear the exact uniform as staff. I was just not sure how to go about implementing this. As they already come in their own uniforms but follow our hair net and bear snood policy only.

Generally contractors are allowed to wear their own uniforms in 'non risk' areas but if they need to work in product handling areas then they are required to wear company provided protective clothing as per the hygiene rules for all personnel entering those areas.

Regards,

Tony

HygMan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

Our site is the same as with the guys above. They wear the same as production guys would.

With regards to implementation we run a system where all regularly attending contractors (Pest control, chemical company, forklift engineers, cooling system engineers etc) have to be sent by their company for a Full site induction. This is the same one as all new employees go through.

It not only gives them access to all areas without being accompanied (freeing up valuable time for the managers that deal with these people) but also means that when they are onsite the understand the rules and they (and their business) are accountable for their behaviour with no "sorry mate didn't realise I wasn't allowed to smoke over that food production line" type comebacks. 

Believe me it also makes it good for relationships between these key people and the site management as they are visible onsite and you always have a regular contact as the service supplier has to send the person/s who are inducted.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Dear All,

I agree with Tony. IMEX it's a (pragmatic) case of RA.

Also IMEX some of the activities mentioned can hopefully be avoided from generating policy conflicts, eg pest control operatives do their work when no production is being carried out.

The production employees n one flour mill i audited (30-40degC / marginal ventilation) mainly used (dry) T-shirts+. Probably including the Engineers. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users