• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hello friends,

Can someone please help out in a generic Pest Control Policy? We have an outside contractor that does our traps now.  

We are a spice and confectitionary sugars packaging facility, we do not manufacture anything.

We are shooting for SQF Level 2.

Thank you.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

Methods and Responsibilities:

1. All external windows, ventilation openings, doors, and other openings shall be effectively sealed when closed and proofed against dust, vermin, and flies.
  2. Personnel Access doors shall be provided and be effectively fly-proofed with self closing device.

Exception of self closing is fire exit only.

1. Other Access points used for product access shall be fly-proofed by at least one or a combination of the following methods:
    1. A self-closing device;
    2. An effective Air Curtain;
    3. A fly-proof screen;
    4. A fly-proof annex.
  2. Pest Control Device-all pest control devices must be approved and used per applicable legislation, so as not to present a contamination risk to the product, packaging, containers, or equipment.
    1. All type of traps (bait, electrical, pheromone, etc shall be located as to not present a risk to product, packaging, container, or processing equipment.
    2. An outside pest control company will be utilized to manage the pest control on site at Bernatello’s.

Responsibilities and Administration: The responsibility of meeting all applicable legislation and regulatory requirements will be controlled by the QA Department with direct responsibility of the QA Manager. The back up to the QA Manager will be the Plant Manager

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

Dear Ivan,

The basic Policy is presumably to achieve exclusion of "Pests" from the Production facility / adjoining environment by the use of approved, food-safe methodologies. The rest is technically Procedure IMO.

But in practice opinions differ as to how to separate Policy / Procedure, if at all.

Personally, i try and minimize Policies (ISO-style). But If SQF don't care (?) I guess it's up to you.

Whatever, the Policy Scope should presumably, minimally, cover insect pests / rodent pests, eg   -

http://www.foodsafet...and-warehouses/

The exact Scope might depend on yr particular situation of course.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - added later - I omitted to mention birds. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Natasham

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Cyprus
    Cyprus

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

Dear Ivan,

In the industry that I work (hotel) we currently have an agreement with the subcontractor for controlling rodents and insects which covers the food storage, production, handling etc areas, specifies the species of rodents and insects to be controlled (eg ferrets, cockroaches, mosquitoes), the frequency of visits, the description / process control, the type and dosage of the chemicals used in each case and of course the agreed price.
In accordance to the above the subcontractor notes on Floor plans (Pre-printed by architects) each bait / trap. Plans are for both outdoors and indoors. At the same time each point is labeled with clear signs so as to be easily identified and to prevent accidental contact with bait / trap.
Through our pest control policy we ensure that the chemicals used to control insects and rodents are approved by our Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources and Environment (as per national law). We also keep records of the Ministry Approval Certificates and the safety data sheets on a file along with descriptions of the chemical.
During pest control process the subcontractor is supervised by an appointed by us person and upon completion the subcontractor sends a report with the work done.
I have also issued Guidelines for prevention of rodents and insects which I have circulated to all staff.

I hope that I helped.

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:55 AM

I used term "clean pest on production area, WH and no pest contamination on product". This generic term for pest provider.

Rgds

AS Nur

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:58 AM

I used term "clean pest on production area, WH and no pest contamination on product". This generic term for pest provider.

Rgds

AS Nur

Dear AS Nur,

Slightly obscure (to me). :smile:

I presume you meant something like - exclude pest from production area (with or without Head [WH]?)

No filth in product.

Perhaps no visible evidence of pest activity also, eg infestation.?

I think the primary pest provider is the environment ? Or sometimes "Man/Woman" ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Dear AS Nur,

Slightly obscure (to me). :smile:

I presume you meant something like - exclude pest from production area (with or without Head [WH]?)

No filth in product.

Perhaps no visible evidence of pest activity also, eg infestation.?

I think the primary pest provider is the environment ? Or sometimes "Man/Woman" ?

Rgds / Charles.C

I am sorry make you obscure..

Yes you right charles, its mean exclude pest from production and WH ( warehouse) area. and to monitoring that target we use pest index.

pest index mean ratio between  maximum pest that trapped and coverage of monitoring device, ex Pest for fly is 0.5 (maximum) its mean only 1 fly (maximum) per 2 m2 coverage area. 

Rgds

AS Nur

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

I am sorry make you obscure..

Yes you right charles, its mean exclude pest from production and WH ( warehouse) area. and to monitoring that target we use pest index.

pest index mean ratio between  maximum pest that trapped and coverage of monitoring device, ex Pest for fly is 0.5 (maximum) its mean only 1 fly (maximum) per 2 m2 coverage area. 

Rgds

AS Nur

Dear AS Nur,

Thanks for clarification. Interesting Index.

i would suggest that the location / time / absolute number of trapped flies is maybe relevant also. And the size, some moths are, sadly, almost explosive

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users