• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:04 AM

Hi everyone

Can you help clarify me the differences between "system" and "scheme" and also with "program" and "tool". When they should be used? For example, when we mention HACCP or ISO 22000, we should refer tem to "food safety management system, tool, program or scheme?

Many thanks

Vu

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

First :welcome: to IFSQN Vu!

Secondly those terms are rarely used in my experience however I have heard the various GFSI systems (like SQF, BRC, IFS, FSSC) called schemes before however I haven't seen them called that directly in documentation. 

HACCP, I believe, is considered a system. HACCP is the systematic collection and mitigation of food safety hazards through a certain set of steps used in order.  Also the entirety of your food safety is called the food safety management system because it encompases all of your programs, controls, documentation, training, etc. that is being used to keep your food safe for the food chain.

Tools are things that help us accomplish our goals.  Things like fishbone diagrams and other root cause analysis tools help us to find the actual reason for a deviation so we can implement controls to make sure they don't happen again.

I'm not sure those terms are really the ones you need to get wrapped up in.  "System", "Scheme", "Program", "Tool", etc.  In FSSC it is much more important to understand PRP, oPRP, CCP, etc.  Those are the things that are put in place (or going to be put in place) to mitigate the hazards with your food to make sure it's safe for your customers.

I'm sure if some people have more experience with these exact terms they'll throw more information in.  But in my experience those are not the terms that someone needs to focus on.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

I think scheme = standard

e.g.

BRC Food Safety Standard

BRC Food Safety Scheme

are the same.

And "system" = the policies, processes and procedures you have in place.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

Dear vutuangg,

For example, when we mention HACCP or ISO 22000, we should refer tem to " (1) food safety management system, (2) tool, (3) program or (4)scheme?

IMEX -

haccp - 1 frequently, 2 occasionally, 3 infrequently, 4 never AFAI can remember (Codex calls it a "system"  > 1st choice?)

iso22000 - 1 occasonally, 2-4 never AFAI can remember (ISO calls it a "Standard" > 1st choice ?)

But, IMO,  it's more a matter of opinion, just like dictionaries. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users