• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:32 AM

Hello Everyone

I require some help please we recently had a Haccp audit and they required a procedure covring the control od personal medication in the work place .

how does one draw up a procedure like this ?

they also required a policy/ procedure covering internal and external communication , can i also get some help with this .

Thanking in advance

fcchoi

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

well komarg,

it is easy, usually, not only for food safety but for occupational safety and health as well, personal medication involving medication consumption is disallowed at workplace and pills/medications are strictly controlled and dispensed with supervision from office staffs

internal/external communication is peanuts though

Thanked by 1 Member:

MCIAN

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 100 posts
  • 41 thanks
Good

• Philippines
    Philippines
  • Interests:Law of attraction & Meditation

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

Hi Kumarg!

We included a section in our "Personnel Hygiene Procedure" regarding the Control of Personal Medicines. It goes like this:

"Production personnel who are undergoing medication are allowed to bring their medicines to the plant but

the medicines should be kept inside their lockers and not be brought inside the processing areas."

See if you can use the sample Communications Procedure attached here.

Attached File  COMMUNICATIONS PROCEDURE.pdf   42.72KB   148 downloads

Regards and good luck on your HACCP Audit.

:gleam:

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

internal/external communication is peanuts though

Dear FCChoi,

Do tell -

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

Our policy is inside our Good Manufacturing Practices, a corporate document, under employee practices which state that all over the counter and prescription medications are required to be left in the employee's car or their locker.

I also mentioned in training that if anyone had a life sustaining medicine, such as an epinephrine pen (eppi pen) they should tell someone they work with where it is and how to get it in the event they need someone to retrieve it for them.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

Our policy is inside our Good Manufacturing Practices, a corporate document, under employee practices which state that all over the counter and prescription medications are required to be left in the employee's car or their locker.

I also mentioned in training that if anyone had a life sustaining medicine, such as an epinephrine pen (eppi pen) they should tell someone they work with where it is and how to get it in the event they need someone to retrieve it for them.

The trouble with this policy is that some medications are temperature sensitive like insulin.  In the desert where internal car temperatures can reach 130 degrees F plus is not good for many medications.   We don't want medicine getting in the food supply but we don't want to endanger anyone's health either.  Most people are very responsible with their medicine if only because it is necessary and so bloody expensive.  I understand having a policy, but that doesn't mean compliance. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

That's why they have an option their locker or their car.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

That's why they have an option their locker or their car.

In the case of the epi pen....hopefully their reaction is not too severe (because they can become serious quickly) and that pen is not far away, and the people can get to it....and

It's the and's that I don't like.  Respectfully agree to disagree. 

That doesn't do the person in need of an epi pen or asthmatic with a rescue inhaler any good in the event of an attack. I would rather throw away food and have someone be able to breathe than risk their passing out on the floor.  While it may be a discussion item, most people are going to be responsible with this issue. 

Edited by Snookie, 18 September 2014 - 06:11 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

In the case of the epi pen....hopefully their reaction is not too severe (because they can become serious quickly) and that pen is not far away, and the people can get to it....and

It's the and's that I don't like.  Respectfully agree to disagree. 

Totally agree with this..... severe anaphyllaxis can kill in  under3 minutes without  treatment- how far is that car (or locker for that matter!) away from the production area?

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users