• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to eliminate Yeast in Gazpacho product?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Weebus90

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 78 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hi Everyone, 

My company currently makes a Gazpacho product and puts it in a closed cup container. 

We are currently having issues with the product bloating. The pH is about 4.3 

its a tomato mixture with jalapenos and cucumbers.

The day after packing is when we start seeing the onset of bloated containers. 

I understand that the pH is so low which is eliminating bacteria, enough where now the yeast is having a free for all. 

The containers are bloated, the product itself changes in texture from a soup to a sauce, and the product is fermenting, and is carbonated. 

I'm thinking a few things could happen that may help us decrease our bloating risk:

* cook the product before adding in the cucumbers and jalapenos which will kill the yeast. 

* change the container to a breathable container which will allow the carbon dioxide to be excreted.

Please if anyone has any thoughts that could help, they are appreciated.

Thanks

WEEBUS

jel

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 33 thanks
Good

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

The problem may be in the formulation of your product, or a contamination from external sources not controlled in your production process. 

If the problem is in the formula for your product, maybe you could use natamycin as fungicide. 

However, if the problem has an external source you will require to check both your production process and the implementation of prerequisite programs. 

Obviously you need to open your Plan HACCP, because something was not done right.

It's important that safety be included since formulation.

SUSHIL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 162 posts
  • 225 thanks
Good

• India
    India

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

Hello WEEBUS,

Add acetic acid to the product to make 1% acidity and thoroughly mix the product This will prevent fermentation.Also you can try sorbic acid (E200)/ potassium sorbate (E202)(addition amount depends on regulatory requirements-seems to be 300ppm) along with acetic acid.

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:50 AM

Hi Everyone, 

My company currently makes a Gazpacho product and puts it in a closed cup container. 

We are currently having issues with the product bloating. The pH is about 4.3 

its a tomato mixture with jalapenos and cucumbers.

The day after packing is when we start seeing the onset of bloated containers. 

I understand that the pH is so low which is eliminating bacteria, enough where now the yeast is having a free for all. 

The containers are bloated, the product itself changes in texture from a soup to a sauce, and the product is fermenting, and is carbonated. 

I'm thinking a few things could happen that may help us decrease our bloating risk:

* cook the product before adding in the cucumbers and jalapenos which will kill the yeast. 

* change the container to a breathable container which will allow the carbon dioxide to be excreted.

Please if anyone has any thoughts that could help, they are appreciated.

Thanks

WEEBUS

dear weebus,

did you threat your container to make sure it sterilie? if no you can try to sterilize the container too using heat, UV ozon etc

Rgds

AS Nur

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users