• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hello All,

I need some guidance on a process step for my HACCP Plan.  The auditor said that I didn't mention the step in my determination/analysis of CCPs.  It is listed on my process diagram, but determined not to be a food safety concern.  The auditor wants to see it on the CCP determination with an explanation as to why it is not a CCP.  Anyone have a suggestion on how to document that?

thanks

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

Hello All,

I need some guidance on a process step for my HACCP Plan.  The auditor said that I didn't mention the step in my determination/analysis of CCPs.  It is listed on my process diagram, but determined not to be a food safety concern.  The auditor wants to see it on the CCP determination with an explanation as to why it is not a CCP.  Anyone have a suggestion on how to document that?

thanks

Hi, suzieq;

All inputs/outputs identified in the narrative and process flow should be identified in your hazard analysis (if I'm understanding your question correctly).

Edited by Slab, 01 October 2014 - 04:19 PM.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Thanked by 1 Member:

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:19 PM

Hello All,

thanks

Hi Suzie Q, a good way to show a CCP determination is using a FMI Food Safety Risk Analysis Matrix which seems to be widely accepted.

You use your processing and hazards and put it up against the matrix below.

*A Value of 1-10 indicates a CCP and 11-25 are critical points.

*Food Safety issues that are less significant will have a value of 11-25

Common Known to Occur Could Occur (published) Not expected to occur Practically Impossible Consequences ↓ A B C D E 1 Fatality 1 2 4 7 11 2 Serious Illness 3 5 8 12 16 3 Product Recall 6 9 13 17 20 4 Customer Complaint 10 14 18 21 23 5 Insignificant 15 19 22 24

Thanked by 2 Members:

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:28 PM

removed still don't know how to post a chart, picture, or document

Edited by RG3, 01 October 2014 - 05:53 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

Dear Suzie,

As per the title i presume the step is some kind of  blast freezing.

Product unknown.

Process unknown.

Equipment unknown.

Result - hazards unknown.

Sorry but the OP has inadequate context to even guess what is going on.

Pls clarify.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

jose gene

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

Hello All,

thanks

Interesting.  As a food microbiologist I would reply that a blast freezer will not diminish bacterial population within a reasonable period of time.  Microorganisms will remain in the food preserved for long periods of time.  The same will apply for physical hazards and most certainly for many chemicals.  I suggest a quick review on low temperature tolerance for pathogens related to your food in order to document your hazard analysis.  Good lock.

jose gene

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:31 AM

Interesting.  As a food microbiologist I would reply that a blast freezer will not diminish bacterial population within a reasonable period of time.  Microorganisms will remain in the food preserved for long periods of time.  The same will apply for physical hazards and most certainly for many chemicals.  I suggest a quick review on low temperature tolerance for pathogens related to your food in order to document your hazard analysis.  Good luck

Thanked by 2 Members:

Suzie B

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:38 AM

Thank you for that advice.  

Share this