Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'm having an issue where our production department is asking to pack mixed lots to fill orders that are currently in Quarantine for routine analyses.  How do we accomplish tractability and proficiency?  

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:26 PM

Without understanding how your system works, it is not possible to say.  You are the expert on your system.  If you can't trace it, then it should not be done. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

Pate are you talking about mixing lots in a case or a pallet?  Like Snookie said we need more detailed information on your product and process to try to help you with ideas on what to do.

For example in flour we send out mixed lots of bagged flour on a pallet but the lot numbers are written onto the bill of lading, of which we keep a copy, and so we know what lots were sent where... but we can't really suggest what you should do without information.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:15 AM

I'm having an issue where our production department is asking to pack mixed lots to fill orders that are currently in Quarantine for routine analyses.  How do we accomplish tractability and proficiency?  

As Snookie & Mr I have indicated it would help if you gave more information.

Packing mixed lots is not out of the ordinary and can happen when you have a large order and smaller lot sizes. Best practice would be for your records to maintain traceability by lot,  this can be done for example by time or box number.

If you cannot clearly distinguish between the lots packed then you should treat them as one batch and hold both lots until cleared from routine analysis and should there be a recall, recall both lots.

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users